Fish Fight

evergreen

I used to know a fisherman who would throw the undersize bass overboard before coming into rye harbour then pick them up whilst he was digging lug on the winchelsea beach. He sold to pubs in Rye, reckoned the bass were a better size for the pub meals than the legal size fish. I believe they were gillnetted so were dead anyway.

Edited by anadromous

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know for a fact that other countries' fishing fleets are not as assiduous about the regs as British fishing fleets. A friend of mine was making a film about the EU fishing quotas several years ago and, in Spain, filmed illegal landings of fish.

The regulations are crazy and have been for years. The problem is that the fishermen are allowed to catch x tonnes of A, y tonnes of B and z tonnes of C. Once they have reached the limit on one fish species they want to keep fishing for the other fish species and then the first species just becomes by-catch and is thrown over the side.

Also they are not allowed to land fish smaller than a certain size so any they catch that don't meet the criteria are just thrown back -- dead.

The entire system is completely mad -- you have to be a bureaucrat to come up with it and think it's OK. So what should happen?

The fishing fleets should be given a limit for fish caught in a given year and they should have to land everything they catch. Once they've achieved the limit then that's it -- take the rest of the year off.

What's really crazy to me is the amount of red diesel trawlers have to burn to make their catches. In times of oil shortages, to then throw a significant percentage of what they catch back is simply mind-numbingly, ecologically, stupid.

I see they've hit 440,000 on the petition now. I hope they can extend it to other countries because we can shout all we like in the UK but it's an EU problem and unless all the countries agree to a change we're pissing in the wind.

Best wishes,

John Russell

I've been on another forum saying pretty much the same thing

what i dont understand is governments see discard as something that has to happen and in reality its discarding dead fish and this is the key discard isn't something that has to happen Its WASTE and totally wrong

im not a fisherman but in the video the fisherman dont like what there doing i dont know how easy it is to catch what they want i pressume they are areas of where they detect where fish are do they know what they'll have in the nets before they land them or is it pot luck so to speak.

It seems in the program there are plenty of cod they catch but cant sell them is this because the fish stocks aren't as bad as the authorities think. if they catch them they go back dead its not helping the fish stocks we may as well eat them.

i think also if they had a quota for the year then stop fishing after that.

also believe what hugh and jamie are trying to do by getting the consumer to ask for different fish is the right thing it will improve the whole industry and be better for fish stocks and fisherman thats if enough people actually go and buy something different.

also believe what hugh and jamie are trying to do by getting the consumer to ask for different fish is the right thing it will improve the whole industry and be better for fish stocks and fisherman thats if enough people actually go and buy something different.

Been eating more mackerel over the past few years- If you have to buy tinned then buy it in brine and add any seasoning you want as you don't get such an aftertaste as in oil or tomato

I really wish I could but it from a chippy in a bap- sounds delicious with tartare sauce- Good recipe Hugh

i had some mackeral a friend caught and cooked it on a barbeque it was lovely ive never liked it much as always thought it was a strong tasting fishy fish lol but it was tasty

Been eating more mackerel over the past few years- If you have to buy tinned then buy it in brine and add any seasoning you want as you don't get such an aftertaste as in oil or tomato

I really wish I could but it from a chippy in a bap- sounds delicious with tartare sauce- Good recipe Hugh

We are constantly told that the human race is on its way to armageddon, that we will soon wipe ourselves off the face of the planet. Sometimes I wonder if this is such a bad thing.

I second that, makes you think what our children will have to endure:thumbdown:

great thread thanks, i was aware of it but have signed up now thanks.

on a bit of a side track here but i do a fair bit of sea fishing and we eat about 95% of what i catch but on a lot of fishing sites n forums it seems to be all catch and release and that your a barbarian if you keep your catch??

this has been on my chest for a while now and i think that by keeping your catch and sharing with friends in a funny way your helping the fish stocks by lowering the demand for these crap commercial techniques??any thoughts

should post this on the kayak fishin forum really but only just joined and leapin on your soap box as a new member usally doesnt go down well.

cheers carl

Hi Carl, my sentiments exactly, when you catch it for yourself you only take as much as what you want to eat. I think its called sustainability! Thanks for your comments. Very valid

Not only will the seas be devoid of fish but the land will be increasingly devoid of flora and fauna as our excessive apetite for expansion grows. We are, in general, an ignorant species who really don't give a monkeys about anything else but ourselves. Yes, there's a growing minority that wishes to do the right thing by the planet but by the time we get our collective arses into gear it will probably be too late. As elicokiz says; what kind of world will be left for our children and/or their children?

I believe the discard regs. are completely wrong and have signed up.

My missus uncle is a commercial fisherman /trawlerman based in the Lofoten Islands in the North of Norway. In his words, the stories of fish stocks being depleted and down on previous years is rubbish. There are plenty of stocks available but it is the quota's that are to blame for the downturn in the industry - that and the Icelandic fishermen!