Fish Fight

evergreen

Nah, don't do that mate. Reading your second post has made me feel a right dick. I shouldn't post when I've just come back from the pub - lesson learnt.

Stay posting, your worth listening to.

:blushing:

Apologies

Sam

Nah were cool mate :001_smile:, Drinking half a bottle of port last night probably clouded my judgement a tad to :001_rolleyes:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not buy fish. We haven't for a while now, but we can get away with that because we fish (and a lot of mates do to). My uncle is part time scallop diver, but doesn't sell them, and we are kept in all kinds of shellfish by him.

Sam

Spot on Sam, I do a bit of sea fishing and fly fishing when I can, cant get a more sustainable catch than when you fish with a rod and line for the table.

Don't the Norwegians have a scheme where they land the over quota fish but get fined for it so the fish arn't wasted but the fishermen arn't encouraged to fish for them specifically if you see what i mean.

Also to add to this debate- believe it or not some of this discard does make it back to the markets. Just- not legally. Let's face it- we'd find a way wouldn't we fellas:thumbup1:

I think the "Fish Fight" is a great cause, I wonder if the foreign ships that use our waters follow the quota regulations as rigidly as we do. I've been fishing a mile off the coast with a rod, and had 2 lumbering great Spanish trawlers either side of me dragging their nets behind. Yet you hardly see a British trawler. We aren't just talking of a few fish here being discarded, but 100's of tons of fish, dead. These fish cant breed and replenish the stocks, its pure waste. If caught, they should be used and sold. As Hugh said the other day, if proportionately the same quantity of lambs were dumped roadside, imagine the outcry!

I know for a fact that other countries' fishing fleets are not as assiduous about the regs as British fishing fleets. A friend of mine was making a film about the EU fishing quotas several years ago and, in Spain, filmed illegal landings of fish.

The regulations are crazy and have been for years. The problem is that the fishermen are allowed to catch x tonnes of A, y tonnes of B and z tonnes of C. Once they have reached the limit on one fish species they want to keep fishing for the other fish species and then the first species just becomes by-catch and is thrown over the side.

Also they are not allowed to land fish smaller than a certain size so any they catch that don't meet the criteria are just thrown back -- dead.

The entire system is completely mad -- you have to be a bureaucrat to come up with it and think it's OK. So what should happen?

The fishing fleets should be given a limit for fish caught in a given year and they should have to land everything they catch. Once they've achieved the limit then that's it -- take the rest of the year off.

What's really crazy to me is the amount of red diesel trawlers have to burn to make their catches. In times of oil shortages, to then throw a significant percentage of what they catch back is simply mind-numbingly, ecologically, stupid.

I see they've hit 440,000 on the petition now. I hope they can extend it to other countries because we can shout all we like in the UK but it's an EU problem and unless all the countries agree to a change we're pissing in the wind.

Best wishes,

John Russell

what gets me is the guys who are over quota on any catch

should be able to pass it to the guys you havent yet got their quota ...

A quota shouldnt be on a boats, but more for a harbour port or area / region ,,

fine set rigiid rules on catching techniques or net size & type to stop willful bycatch

,after all the guys who want dover sole will catch over quota species which gets chucked the cod back & an-other boat may well be doing exactly the opposite.

wasting a natural resource + diesel + risking lives doing it UTTER MADNESS

I wonder how many other Eu country adopt Eu rules quite as keenly as we do

cant sell it cant land it set up some pontoons and do swappsys

brussels = clueless

great thread thanks, i was aware of it but have signed up now thanks.

on a bit of a side track here but i do a fair bit of sea fishing and we eat about 95% of what i catch but on a lot of fishing sites n forums it seems to be all catch and release and that your a barbarian if you keep your catch??

this has been on my chest for a while now and i think that by keeping your catch and sharing with friends in a funny way your helping the fish stocks by lowering the demand for these crap commercial techniques??

any thoughts

should post this on the kayak fishin forum really but only just joined and leapin on your soap box as a new member usally doesnt go down well.

cheers carl