beaten by a tree?

MattyF

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve has a valid point from a business perspective Not that I think he was having a pop at matty he was just saying it as he sees it

ie

if a company back heels too many jobs , then the customer will ime call someonelse too do it They ( the new co') will then embelish it & take great pleasure in informing anyone you'll listen that their competitor is not upto big tree work, that kind of background muttering among the locals, won't do anyones business profile any good at all !

I cancel work if it's raining, can't do with getting my gear wet :wave:

I do it quite often, but my business plan is to charge a realistic day rate and only initailly book 3 days a week, you then have 2 days to shuffle jobs about then the customer isn't waiting more than a couple of days if you postpone the job for bad weather.

If then you have a decent week with no rain or wind you can pull a job forward from the next week and fit 4 or 5 days in however much you feel you want to and in the process impress customers being extra prompt.

If you charge low day rates and have to fit in five or six days a week to make it pay then at some point you are going to have to work in inclimant weather and take chances.

I love tree work and climbing, but I don't see how anyone can enjoy it in the peeing down rain, slipping and sliding about ontop of branches getting yourself and your gear covered in black slime.

My system works, I have decent up to date gear and am very busy, mostly repeat business. You are not rushed and can spend that extra time tidying up to leave a good impression.

Low day rates, IMO, lead to rushing, working in bad weather, not being able to afford to replace gear when knackered.

I know contract climbing is a different ball game and doesn't come under the above. :icon14:

Thats what risk assesment is all about. Ive had my fair share, and its always worth going with your gut instinct. One job i had i was saying no, but the groundie i had with me was saying do it. Never did though, always go with you gut. Good call matty.

Personally have never bottled it on a Tree,thats why its worth while to give it a good looking at when pricing ,Weigh up the options ,Could be a slippery slope if you start swerving jobs ,Theres enough safety/back up equipment to tackle any tree job ,Theres also the embarrasment factor with the customer ,,once again just my opinion for what its worth,

Maybe your right. Maybe we should all just blindly battle on whatever the weather but I would think the casualty rate would double in our industry and if that happens how do we justify calling ourselves pro's.

Listen to your instincts. Sometimes we are all over cautious but there is usually a reason for that uncertain feeling.

I've walked away loads of times and my two kids are the main reason.

Still here, still busy!

We are not in the bloody marines. Save the matcho nonsence!

tree was over 100ft but high .

the pics certainly dont do it justice.

ive postponed job when its to windy before the start, but if i had already been to the top of tree i think i would get on.

No one can expect you to risk your life (more than the usual calculated risk of tree work) if they do then id tell em to show me how its done!

Its down to each climber (or their boss!) when things are unsafe. but like anything different people will feel safe under different circumstances. e.g. F1 drivers for example... not everyone would like going round a corner at 200 mph.

:icon14: