• Never, not even once
    • Very rarely
    • Occasionally
    • Every day
    • No Training
    • Yes training should be provided

Learning wrongly....

Which is why they should be taught correctly :001_smile:

I have spent the last three days taking out 21 large trees, I made a mental note of whether the cuts made whilst climbing some could have been done one or two handed safely and easily (no targets beneath)

On one knarly Oak inparticular (which was being cleaned rather than take down) getting to and work positioning on some of the branches and deadwood to be removed, would have been a lot more dangerous and nigh on impossible, than just reaching out and nipping off one handed...and with the saw being at full arms length and bar 90 degree to forearm, virtually impossible to get injured in the event of kickback.

I do find it extremely difficult to believe, that tree all ariel tree work can be carried out efficiently and safely keeping two hands on the saw at all times.

I think you would be putting yourself in more danger trying to get out and position yourself for two hand use, ending up going out onto thinner branches and risking footholds snapping, which in turn could result in devastating injuries

Good post Dean.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:thumbup1:

Learning wrongly....

Which is why they should be taught correctly :001_smile:

I have spent the last three days taking out 21 large trees, I made a mental note of whether the cuts made whilst climbing some could have been done one or two handed safely and easily (no targets beneath)

On one knarly Oak inparticular (which was being cleaned rather than take down) getting to and work positioning on some of the branches and deadwood to be removed, would have been a lot more dangerous and nigh on impossible, than just reaching out and nipping off one handed...and with the saw being at full arms length and bar 90 degree to forearm, virtually impossible to get injured in the event of kickback.

I do find it extremely difficult to believe, that tree all ariel tree work can be carried out efficiently and safely keeping two hands on the saw at all times.

I think you would be putting yourself in more danger trying to get out and position yourself for two hand use, ending up going out onto thinner branches and risking footholds snapping, which in turn could result in devastating injuries

i totally agree mate. sometimes it is safer to use the saw one handed. we all do. but not all the time!

First post woo hi all,

I often use a top handle one handed (all the time to be fair), and a dont know a good tree climber that doesn't, so if you've said you DON'T your either lying or too slow.

all the time? 13 years down the line and touch wood havnt cut myself yet. and still kept my governer happy. do it when theres no other option imo.:001_smile: stay lucky dude!

Has any one thought that it may be safer to use the silky one handed if it is out on a limb and not supposedly safe enough to use a climbing saw with both hands if you are that far out, the limbs wont be that thick so won't be a problem going through them with a hand saw i know that most people prefer the lazy option of one handing in the the name of production but really are the jobs priced that tight that you need to go that far to save a few seconds and risk weeks off with a chainsaw injury, just a thought!!

Yeah, every day now!! Cannot even begin to match the pace of climbers here in Sweden unless you do! However... seen some lunatics in my time cutting right near their hands and crossing hands cutting cm's away from their forearms - i am not in this bracket and never will be, i would rather take 10 mins longer and walk away with my arms still attached!!

I worked with a very good and experienced guy this summer who, a couple of years previous, cut a branch under extreme tension one-handed... the saw was catapulted into his left forearm and ran all the way to the top of his bicep! His arm was sliced badly, somehow he made it to the ground by himself, losing almost enough blood to kill him!! He passed out once on the ground, the only reason he survived was because his groundie was ex-military and knew exactly where to squeeze to slow the bleeding. He was a very lucky man!! 100 stitches and 6 months later he was back in the trees! With massive debt due to not working for 6 months. He had to learn how to use his arm and fingers again! This guy was and luckily still is, an awesome guitarist. Things could have been very, very different!!

No tree is worth losing an arm or your life for!

In my opinion one-handed training should definatley be taught... the majority of newly-trained climbers will see one-handed use by experienced climbers pretty quickly if they are working in commercial Arboriculture.

The majority of climbers i have seen cutting and holding branches whilst dismantling have been extremely efficient at their job...and imo very safe at their job! But, if newly trained climbers see this and attempt to copy it, it can end in disaster! Even the most experienced climbers like my friend can have an accident. One-handed use certainly increases the risk of being cut, but it will always be done, so imo training should be provided to high-light the additional dangers and show what is "safe" and what is just plain lunacy!!

Chainsaw are very efficient tools in experienced hands, but they have the potential to take your life in a split-second! Always respect them!!

all the time? 13 years down the line and touch wood havnt cut myself yet. and still kept my governer happy. do it when theres no other option imo.:001_smile: stay lucky dude!

ok all the time isnt true,

but there is always a situation in the tree where i believe its required, mainly because im directing the piece im cutting, too keep the ground staff safe..! :thumbup1: