Have you ever bottled it?

gibbon

Butler wrote "...to be honest i respect you a have a feeling your a great climber..."

Gibbon took offence (perhaps understandably).

Classic example of why it's important to punctuate, read back what you've written and correct if necessary. Butler meant to say, "...to be honest i respect you. I have a feeling your a great climber..."

That full stop and the capital 'I' makes all the difference!

I bet some of you think I'm a smart arse. You're probably right.

Best wishes,

John Russell

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Interesting and informative read, even Butler and Skyhuck's contributions were mildy amusing if somewhat childish.

Gibbon,

it takes a very experienced, knowledgable and confident climber to spot a previously unknown structural weakness in a tree, then act on that information in a positive way thereby reducing the risk of death or serious injury.

Your story is a valuable lesson to everyone here. Thanks for posting it.

The more I think about it the stranger this thread seems:confused1:

But having reread the original post, I wish I had paid more attention to the last line

Ever happen to you? or too tough to admit it?

So really right from the off, you have either "bottled it" or your a lier:sneaky2:

The strange thing is that if gibbon had answered a thread like this before this tree he would also have said no, yet now those who say that now are egotistical, testosterone filled big heads.

Also many are says that those who have never left a job unfinished are unprofessional:confused1:

This tree was being reduced for safety reasons? or to prevent it from being damaged by wind?

Which clearly has not been achieved, is that professional?

If the limb was in danger of failing with 11 stone on it, I feel the wind will soon whip it off.

Could the limb not have been temporarily braced with rigging gear, while its climbed and reduced??

Or as some have suggested use a MEWP.

Not only is there the safety issue and the tree being damaged, but also the other important trees around it which will also be damaged if this dangerous tree is just left. Surely it needs finishing??

The use of the word "bottled" in the title of this thread is surely wrong. The OP is now really saying the tree is unclimbable (or at least this part of it) so really this thread makes little sense, IMO.

Edited by skyhuck

I agree with you skyhuck some people just don't bottle it! I've decided something was too dangerous plenty of times it doesn't mean I've bottled it, I've found another way to finish the job. The use of the word is probably wrong as it will get peoples backs up. I like Gibbons posts and I reckon he's knows his stuff so he hasn't bottled this tree he's made an educated decision about safety and will find another way to do it. I believe if skyhuck says he hasn't bottled it he hasn't his signature even states he's talking from his own experience. People who say they don't bottle it and appear to have no fear are not necessarily dangerous they know their own limit and can climb a tree at 60ft as if they were at 10ft it mind over matter

Edited by Lorry thompson
Missed a bit