Have you ever bottled it?

gibbon

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Asking the experienced climbers, have you ever bottled it?

Ever happen to you? or too tough to admit it?

Happened to me twice. Really uncomfortable. At first I tried to convince myself that I was being silly, but progress became so painful, that I had to bottle out. Fortunately, my mate was at hand to finish the job in half an hour or so.

If it ever happens to me again, I'll listen to my mind and get down on the ground at once. I don't think I would have the mental capacity to deal with any unforeseen incidents in that situation.

Last year we reduced a huge 40m Pop, I had 2 boughs left, the very highest, was gonna dismantle in stages and let the stuff free fall, after climbing the one i looked down at the crotch where the 2 boughs left each other, i didn't like the look of it especially as the wind had picked up, I dropped down past the crotch and dropped them, one rigged the other a free fall. It just didn't feel right up there, you have to listen to your heart and re-think, better safe than sorry, makes my heart race just thinking about it!

I'd get a MEWP in for your tree Gibbon, It may cost i know, but could you use it for any other jobs ?

I would anchor in as shown in black, then us my strop to get up, it anything happened it would be a bit of a swing, but not the end of the world.

Just what I would do, please feel free to tell me I'm a fool :001_smile:

me.jpg.06c543c168ae0e89c0e5fffd51a7cb43.jpg

Edited by skyhuck

He's already been up there once, an experienced climber. How will it be different a second time?

Mate! we all have good and bad days, with abit of the advice that he s got from the forum, and a second look he will be able to make a more informed decision on the next plan of attack. :001_smile: