2010-good year or not?

alastair gillespie

what happens when everyone's in there zimmer frames and can't get up a tree anymore and the great void of young'uns due to the "lack of work" there was or is?

I would agree that there is a lack of work in th industry as a hole, but i would also say its hard to get younger people to work [not all of them] especially on weekends and they want same money as someone with experience as they have the same bits of paper.. Certs are ther to conform too and say you have passed but alot different in th big wide world.

any work is welcome work:thumbup1:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2010 turned out a good year in the end after a shaky start. We have moved out of the city, I have started a new job and a MSc and adopted a dog....

I like your post Stevie - a good year is about more than turnover although that always helps.

I am grateful for a beautiful wife, good friends and a healthy family.

yea my trouble spots are May to August (summer) zero work every year this happens then pics up again in September at the mo booked up till Feb. 2011 will be different vat will have a some impact on people who have a business. But the retired folk still have the money to spend i'm sure.

2010 was a great year for me even better than 2009 with a 25% rise in net profit. 2011 is looking to start well too with more work in the book already than at this time last year. so hopefully be able to take August off again like last year and work hard through out the rest whilst still maintaining a good life/work balance. I also think the VAT rise will work in my favour being well under the VAT threshold. To me the most important point is keeping your overheads to an absolute minimum which I do. No point having lots of gear if you are not realistically using it all the time. There are plenty of hire companies doing great deals on arb machinery now which helps achieve this.

Hoping that we all hit the ground running this year, quoting will be much more competitive so remember that. I got 90% of jobs I quoted for last year so looking to get the same if not better.

i think this year is going to be tougher than the last , last year the recession was still being played down to some extent , the goverment were trying to get more people spending to "boost" the economy and all in all i can see people haveing a real eye opener this year . however it poses a time to Re think your buisnes module and see how and where you can tweek it . The bigest importance is keeping you head up think productivley and do not settle for second best . im sure there are many guys here that saw their way through the thatcher years and lets be honest it was far far worse than this recession .

Any way i wish you all a prosperous and enjoyable working new year .

2010 started great for me, loads of work, then was diagnosed with cancer in September, had operation, recovered for a month, then started chemo...still ongonig now. So all I can say lads is that as long as you have your health and can work, try not to worry, there's far more to life. Wish i could climb a tree right now. Really depressing but hopefully 2011 will get better:thumbup1:

2010 started great for me, loads of work, then was diagnosed with cancer in September, had operation, recovered for a month, then started chemo...still ongonig now. So all I can say lads is that as long as you have your health and can work, try not to worry, there's far more to life. Wish i could climb a tree right now. Really depressing but hopefully 2011 will get better:thumbup1:

Puts it all into perspective.

Hope you're back up climbing soon. :thumbup1: