first sign of a dodgy flywheel bearing?

daveindales

There are many machines out there that are still going on bearings much older than that, the key to bearing life is lubrication you simply can’t have too much grease

My greenmech are on the origional bearins after 8 years and 800hrs, but there there big heavy duty ones and greaseable.

There are many machines out there that are still going on bearings much older than that, the key to bearing life is lubrication you simply can’t have too much grease

You can over grease something, read somewhere it can lead to heat build up.

Being an entec, i assume like timberwolf chippers there bearings are non greasble.

I agree with you though that bearings can last alot longer than 5years.

You can over grease something, read somewhere it can lead to heat build up.

Being an entec, i assume like timberwolf chippers there bearings are non greasble.

I agree with you though that bearings can last alot longer than 5years.

Show me where it says that, how on earth can clean lubricant make a bearing overheat? Lubricant is designed to reduce friction and thus heat.

Chuck as much grease in just make sure you wipe off any excess.

Sealed for life bearings are a waste of time unless they are going someplace you cant get at them to grease.

It is possible to over-grease a bearing but I've never heard of it causing heat build-up. Some bearings run in 'dirt seals' (I'm not talking about sealed-for-life bearings) and pumping too much grease in will blow the seals and thus allow in dirt. Just follow what it says in the manual.

An example of a bearing that you can 'blow' is the 'ring' on a swing shovel (that creates the 360 degree turn) -- be careful not to over-grease. On the other hand you can push as much grease as you like into the pins on the dipper arm, the rams and the bucket joints -- the more the merrier -- to push out any dirt that's forced in.

Best wishes,

John Russell

It is possible to over-grease a bearing but I've never heard of it causing heat build-up. Some bearings run in 'dirt seals' (I'm not talking about sealed-for-life bearings) and pumping too much grease in will blow the seals and thus allow in dirt. Just follow what it says in the manual.

An example of a bearing that you can 'blow' is the 'ring' on a swing shovel (that creates the 360 degree turn) -- be careful not to over-grease. On the other hand you can push as much grease as you like into the pins on the dipper arm, the rams and the bucket joints -- the more the merrier -- to push out any dirt that's forced in.

Best wishes,

John Russell

No that’s not what you said, you rightly said it is possible to blow a bearing seal, that only happens when you whack a shed load in and over pressure the seal, it happens particularly when the bearing is cold.

You can grease a bearing every hour if you want we do the PTO’s on the round bailers once per hour, pump till you hear the sound of frying bacon and you won’t have a problem.

Having said that if you do manage to blow a seal out keeping greasing it will ensure that grease keeps coming out and nowt goes in.

Best results cold grease into a warm bearing will displace the old soft stuff without blowing the seal.

Show me where it says that, how on earth can clean lubricant make a bearing overheat? Lubricant is designed to reduce friction and thus heat.

Chuck as much grease in just make sure you wipe off any excess.

Sealed for life bearings are a waste of time unless they are going someplace you cant get at them to grease.

I think over greasing tends to be on very high speed stuff like wood working saws and panes. I remember as a boy my dad (who is a joiner) was having problems with some new machinery. He was advised, by the supplier, that he had over greased it and had to put the bearings in the Aga to melt out some of the grease.

With chippers and cranes I have found that by "purging" the bearings you push out the dirty old grease and replace it with nice clean stuff.

But I'm certainly no expert.