All the gear - no idea!

Ty Unnos

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't go for the Hi-Flex trousers. Not because there 'rubbish', 'fall apart', etc. But because there designed for climbers. Yes of course you can obviously use them on the ground cos i do, but i also climb.

The reason i say not to go for them is because of the protection. They have 5 layers. 4 layers less than the typical 9 layers which you find in your everyday class1 trousers.

I'd have a look at the new Husqrvarna T20 trousers.

The helmet and gloves - Husqrvarnas are perfect

I'd seriously consider getting boots rather than wellies though. Your feet will thank you and most pairs are waterproof anyway.

I know Husqrvarna do complete PPE kits. Have a look at them. That save you some money and you'll have better kit than the unbranded, cheap stuff

It's been said before but I'll say i again to pad out this post, it all depends on what you'll be doing afterwards. I work on a public authority site doing general groundskeeping, and I use Stihl Forestwear Classic trousers (Awfully thin at the back though, I wear a thin pair of trackies underneath to stop my arse freezing), Lavoro Chainsaw boots (Wear them everyday, chainsaw work or no chainsaw work, and they last a full 12 months. Probably get more out of them if i didnt wear them home wet and have to get them dried quickly in time for the next morning. They cost about £120) and a Centurion safety helmet. The reason I went for that one is the ease at which you can change the mesh visor for a perspex or polycarb visor or nothing at all, seeing as I use it for Strimming and compact tractor as well as Chainsaw work. Hope that helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I'm not sure if this helps but I was in a similar position a few months ago. My parents have a few acres of trees and wanted me to cut stuff down/up to use in their woodburner. I went for SIP all round trousers (think thats Class C) as on the course they said that front protection ones can get pulled round by the saw (or even the position you stand in). A Husky helmet is fine for me, feels comfortable and the ear protectors make it more pleasant to work, now use it with brushcutter to! I went for the wellies as im only an occasional user and its normally wet in the woods (and they were cheap). As mum and dad were buying they insisted I use a jacket, went for an SIP one, bloody hot, puffs up by my shoulders and rubs on my neck, but hey atleast I can't chop my arms off!

Hi All

Many thanks for all the advice.

This is what I went for in the end:

Husky Helmet.

Husky Wellies.

Oregon Gloves.

Oregon Classic type C trousers.

I went for the Oregon trousers as they were cheaper and I wanted type C and found them the best fit. The idea would be to invest in a more expensive pair of type A trousers once I have a bit more experience.

I went for wellies in the end as they are cheaper and I am based in Wales! Again I will invest in boots when I have bit more experience.

And the best bit:

I went for a Husky 346XPG.

I will let you know how I get on once I have had a play with all the new kit!