Ash tree removal

RC0

This was a relatively short but chunky tree in a situation where we absolutely had to lower every thing.

The top was time consuming but the real challenge came in the trunk which was leaning in the opposite direction to where we needed to place the sections. For this reason we used alternative methods. Whilst I’m not promoting or encouraging the methods, what I will say that I had tested the equipment involved and all things considered, was satisfied that it was indeed the safest method for dealing with the circumstances on this particular occasion.

It’ll take about a half hour to watch all three videos. Thanks

Part1

[ame]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ei65VYKNAM[/ame]

Part 2

[ame]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=3Cvx89eRF9w[/ame]

Part 3

[ame]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Cf5ixX-4N0s[/ame]

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Very interesting. I see a lot I like and some I am not certain of. First off, good job on that beast of a tree job. You and your crew did a great job. The last bit is the part I am unsure of. I did not like the way the rope ran free across the top of the spar. If it climbed up and over the side, as unlikely as that is, you would have been ripped off the spar. What if you hammered some sort of a guide against the rope before it went over the edge of the top? How would have quartering the pieces and throwing smaller chunks into some sort of a brush pile compared time wise? From the video I cannot tell if it would be possible, but it is just a thought.

I did not like the way the rope ran free across the top of the spar. If it climbed up and over the side, as unlikely as that is, you would have been ripped off the spar. What if you hammered some sort of a guide against the rope before it went over the edge of the top? How would have quartering the pieces and throwing smaller chunks into some sort of a brush pile compared time wise? From the video I cannot tell if it would be possible, but it is just a thought.

I know how it looks, however, the positioning of the lag-hooks, the crotch, lowering device....the mecanical driving tool and reasonably accurate cutting ensured that the chunks maintained their course, it was never in doubt, slow but sure....all though perhaps not as clear on the video. I had fully intented to insert a rope guide as you suggest i.e. perhaps another hook and krab in the top or side of the step to my right but realised upon being up there that it was cool. Probably still would have been the right thing to do though.

Quatering was the an option but we only had a 3 ft dirt patch to perhaps thow onto in which had light fittings embeded, plus the trunk was leaning away from that area so I might have even had to cut them smaller before having the confidence to attempt it. I had to come in from both sides with the 88 and it was real awkward to maneouvre due to the lean an brittle bark on short gaffs. So what with the roof, walls, fences and all....rigging in this manner made the most sense. Thanks

Sitting here in awe of your thought processes Mr C.

What made you think of the screws? :001_cool: but a little bit :scared1:

I think OM's queery is well raised and your explaination justified and clear.

Really like the honesty amongst you frontiersmen.

I'd be more concerned with the profanity spewing forth @ 3.58 on the last vid.

You really need to think more of your audience next time and raise the volume a few notches.

I could barely hear you. :sneaky2:

LOL, we've all journeyed to that point before.

Most excellent visuals, it just gets better and better.

:top: