Hedgecutters... help!

lister

Im looking to buy a bit of kit before new year while things are just that little bit cheaper, one of them being some hedgecutters. I have no idea what im looking for, ive never really cut any hedges (mainly just raked up the cuttings!) I swear by my stihl groundsaw and top handle, and the local dealer is a 10minute walk from my house. Are there hedgecutters any good? Ill be using these for work couple of times a month at the most.

Not sure on why there is a double sided and single sided option? surely double sided must be more efficient to work with? Im guessing guys have a few sets of cutters for different types of hedge, conifers as opposed to cutting hawthorn. Is there anything that will do a bit of everything haha? Someone please point me in the right direction! cheers.

Im looking to buy a bit of kit before new year while things are just that little bit cheaper, one of them being some hedgecutters. I have no idea what im looking for, ive never really cut any hedges (mainly just raked up the cuttings!) I swear by my stihl groundsaw and top handle, and the local dealer is a 10minute walk from my house. Are there hedgecutters any good? Ill be using these for work couple of times a month at the most.

Not sure on why there is a double sided and single sided option? surely double sided must be more efficient to work with? Im guessing guys have a few sets of cutters for different types of hedge, conifers as opposed to cutting hawthorn. Is there anything that will do a bit of everything haha? Someone please point me in the right direction! cheers.

stihl hs 81 r 30 inch version brilliant hedgecutter cant fault it

several on that well known auction site

Edited by Nic Johnson Contracting
adding to information

Not being funny, but if you have no idea what you are looking for, and no idea why there are single and double sided ones, then are you really the person that should be trimming anyones hedges?

Single sided are for trimming annual hedges, mostly used on the sides only and for where you want a good straight line. Double sided are suited to cutting back overgrown hedges and doing tops.

If you are only having one set for now, then double sided medium length cutting ones, but a single sided trimming one would be good to have as well. And a long reach. and some poles etc etc.

do a search on here for >>>>>> The Best hedgetrimmer :thumbup1:

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/general-chat/20261-best-hedgetrimmer.html

Yertiz.

Single sided (30" and 40") version and Andys' final choice really are the dogs. Balance, sharpness, longevity etc etc. Sweet running engines too and very very smooth.

Not being funny, but if you have no idea what you are looking for, and no idea why there are single and double sided ones, then are you really the person that should be trimming anyones hedges?

Single sided are for trimming annual hedges, mostly used on the sides only and for where you want a good straight line. Double sided are suited to cutting back overgrown hedges and doing tops.

If you are only having one set for now, then double sided medium length cutting ones, but a single sided trimming one would be good to have as well. And a long reach. and some poles etc etc.

probably not, but after two redundancies and being kicked off site for the last 2 weeks because of the health and safety issues of working in the snow, im pretty fed up of relying solely on someone elses workload. cheers for the advice though!

I've got the cheap Stihl one, the HS45. I wouldn't reccomend it, it does an alright job but vibrates like anything not comfortable to use for more than an hour or so.

I only trim a very few hedges, so if I find myself using it more than once or twice a summer I'll be upgrading and it'll be the backup!

cheers,

Joe

Hey mate, I've been cutting hedges for too long!!

All you need is a hs 86 r single sided one. There is no point in the double sided one, it cuts all types of hedge like a dream. It's got all the anti vibration stuff so you can use it all day without your fingers tingling.

If you really want to splash out get a long handled strimmer type one, stihl again (not sure what model it is) and a telescopic poll saw so you can take the saw end off it and put the hedge cutter end off the strimmer one on it for those mega tall and wide hedges.

Stihl recommend you don't do this but i've had mine for years with no problems.

If you've got all of the above you'll be laughing!!! :o)