bonfires

Gavin

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems a waste of a lot of firewood to me...... I hope no enforcing authorities are reading this thread ;)

As there is an elm tree protection zone around the southdowns in Sussex, imposed by enforcing authorities, maybe they will be congratulating Gavin?

Check wind direction, if a problem wait unitl it's blowing in the way you want, then light a smaller fire from the back - up wind side. I use carbroad, strawbales etc - tyres will give out massive black smoke, could cause problems.

My daughter had a bottle & pallet party one frosty evening - toastie

Lift the pile with the JCB get right in under there and start a good hot fire with some nice dry stuff, (as normal place the start fire appropriatley so the wind blows the flames straight through/into the pile, central rarely works.) leave the pile lifted for a good while for ventilation and it'll be going in no time. when you drop the rest of the pile down wedge some stuff around the starter fire to stop it from getting squashed too much, keep the air moving around it:thumbup1:

If you have bikes an old tyre can work wonders too:001_tt2:

Edited by Billy

Hi, we try and avoid diesel as it does contaminate the soil but it does work ! The best thing I have found is plastic milk or bread crates on top of the flames as when they ignite they drip melting/flaming lumps which ignite whatever they land on and they burn for ages and don't smoke like tyres do.

Joking about fire-lighting skills, didnt think that there was so much to it. Then today left the lad to get the fire going while we cut. Waste of time, kept looking up the field, flames check, smoke check, tell-tale crackle of combustion.....errrrrrr no. Carry on cutting (on a shut-down, time is of the essence) look up again about 15 mins later, flames......noooo, smoke .......wispy, tell-tale crackle of combustion....nil. Sheesh, gonna get him a Boy Scouts handbook for Xmas I reckon. Stop what we're doing, trudge up field, light fire, big blaze devouring everything in sight within 15mins, what is so blooming difficult?