step cut

dadio

Any chance of sharing these techniques for the "What happens when the lad has a go - part 3" thread. :lol:

Nah, In our case it would be more likely to be 'the lad' doing the posting (something like "Look what these dopey old saddo's have been upto now - part 1") :biggrin:

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is was with you on this one until last year. An accurate fell was required for a 70 ft eucalupt - all was well until it started to snap off the hinge on one side. Turned out to be a very good example of spiral grain - the fibres were almost 45 degrees opposed on the hinge. Result was that one side snapped a lot sooner than expected. I have a picture of the hinge which, thankfully did its job with just 60% of it left - shocking.

In my experience it is virtually impossible to determine the grain/condition of the inside of the base of the tree. This step cut seems to rely on the stump being fairly uniform and predictable. Not one I would use but guess it could be developed for certain situations.

Interesting stuff.:thumbup1:

Post the pic then.:001_smile:

Interesting stuff.:thumbup1:

Post the pic then.:001_smile:

This is the only photo I can find - it shows part of the hinge that failed due to the grain direction. The felling direction was towards the camera, the failed part on the right of the picture. Sorry to divert the thread.

CIMG1733.jpg.8b4913a841650a3c4c0d1b670ae9e699.jpg

interesting photo.. that's one of the dangers of "too" high a backcut... that leaves a lot more room between the backcut and the floor of the notch. If there is any imperfection anywhere along the length of those longer fibers, there will be a LOT less strength in the hinge. That is one good reason to plunge cut. It allows the faller to set the precise height of the backcut relative to the hinge. 2" is somewhat an arbitrary figure.

You didn't make that cut up.

Its been used for years to Fell Heavy leaning Trees.You used the technique and then applied Tension using an external device.

Your cut is the same as this one.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWXWh6wDOXY]YouTube - bore and release[/ame]

So its a dogs tooth with a step cut release :001_rolleyes: No tooth I guess, more like a set of OAP gums - could be an excellent cut for us old codgers :thumbup1: I just love the way that cars simply drive past behind him - even during the actual fell - he is very confident that nothing will reach the road.

The failed hinge above was level across the stump, it was tensioned to prevent it falling onto the building underneath it. A bore cut was used into the gob and behind the hinge. The hinge failed early due to the extreme spiral grain.