paid snow days?

ben lightfoot

Do you get paid for snow days?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Do you get paid for snow days?

• paid
    • unpaid

They may be young but they still produce better work than that cherry plum you did :001_smile:

and what does it matter how old you are any way they are all fully qualified with the right qualifications and they work there arses of for me so i have no complaints . I am only 24 and i have been running a business for 4 years so i dont see that age should reflect on how good a tree surgeon you are . I have more work than i can cope with and i dont have to contract to Gristwood.

dont you just love a premadone :lol:

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we got five days paid for days when not working for weather, the sixth day we took (had to) leave from annual.

I worked out that i saved him at least 6 days on various big jobs we had through the year, so NO it doesnt work both ways.

What we should be asking realy is would WE WANT to climb in less than favourable conditions? i mean say a slippery frozen ash to tip out on a day when temps wont defrost the limbs etc, slip and break a rib or worse (6-12 weeks off on statutory sick pay?) or lose a days wages? no brainer really.

I know i am an asset, i cut DAYS off the big jobs, and hours of the daily routine, I expect that to be recriprocated in one way or another and as we are 8-5 period it needs the gesture returned some how.

It all depends on how highly we value our staff doesnt it?

whats 5 days pay in the scheme of a year?

I used to take my boys out for the day on birthdays, we never lost work due to snow but would have still paid them, my lads where good as gold and i valued thier efforts. The business went bust but we are still good mates now and we regulary go fishing together etc, I couldnt say that about any of my bosses, except Andy toms and Dave gristwood who are probably the best guys i will ever have worked for.

If you want staff to have your best interests at heart, to have YOUR back, return the jesture, or just be another boss, a firm is a team, destroy morale, destroy the business.

I would have thought there might be legal issue's with employees rights etc.

Suppose it depends what's in your employment contract.

That about covers it - it's all down to your contract or if you have no contract - custom and practice.

We have a "laying off" clause in our contracts. If we get hit with extreme weather and can't work we will lay off staff (short term) to protect their long term employment. Long term survival is more important. We will work with staff if they have problems with this. We cover everything that we can control - but extreme weather is everyones problem not just employers.

If a business with 5 employees can't make enough over the year to pay staff for bad weather- my calculations include 10 days off per year including when rain really stops play- then someones not doing the sums right or pricing right. More than 10 and it means the boss man is going to be pushing hard for a while to recoup those losses- depends how you see it.

As an employee it's your job to bring in jobs early occasionally just as some jobs will run over- thats just the way it is.

I just wish i could book training courses on a whim so that something constructive could still be done when bad weather strikes.

ive currently two guys on my books in vienna austria and **** loads of snow if we cant work which is very seldom then the guys service saws etc. sometimes i just send them home and pay em same when it rains but this only works when they r prepaired to give u this time back and dont winge bout working a sat for "nothing"

i had to guys on my books once paid them from jan till feb they worked bout 6 days got full pay for the month then i asked them didnt tell if they could do sat for me but they wouldnt get paid for it first guy said im not working for nothing on sat so i tried to explain to him the position i was in he told me to f--- off so i gave him the choice work sat for "nothing" or leave site they both left i was stood there with 250 trees to cut on my own so if u wanna get paid when it snows be prepaired to give it back when the sun is shinning luckily ive got two great guys now that really appreciate this novell system we run here hope that helps cheers damo

If a business with 5 employees can't make enough over the year to pay staff for bad weather- my calculations include 10 days off per year including when rain really stops play- then someones not doing the sums right or pricing right. More than 10 and it means the boss man is going to be pushing hard for a while to recoup those losses- depends how you see it.

As an employee it's your job to bring in jobs early occasionally just as some jobs will run over- thats just the way it is.

I just wish i could book training courses on a whim so that something constructive could still be done when bad weather strikes.

Good post. :thumbup1: