Bio diesel update

felixthelogchopper

Well, I for one shall be sticking to regular diesel straight from the pump after trying biodiesel this summer. First problem was a recurrent diesel water trap light and yesterday the engine started misfiring badly as I was driving to Arbogrunt's. After consulting the brainboxes of the owners club, a blocked diesel filter was diagnosed and , upon its removal, a large blob of jelly-like matter was found in it. It seems that the extreme cold at the moment had solidified the crap removed by the biodiesel and it was blocking the filter enough to cause a misfire. Not sure if the type of biodiesel I was using was to blame as I only used one supplier, but, for me, the biodiesel experiment is over.:thumbdown:

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a little problem with my mog in the past with a little bit of clear jelly-like matter causing fuel starvation, it got into the course in-line fuel filter then flattened out into a cling-film like substance on the mesh within the in-line filter then would act as a 1-way valve, in that you couldn’t blow threw it one-way but you could the other.

However it had quite a lot of DERV mixed with SVO in the months before, but I will still use DERV/SVO mix as and when I want.

Well, I for one shall be sticking to regular diesel straight from the pump after trying biodiesel this summer. First problem was a recurrent diesel water trap light and yesterday the engine started misfiring badly as I was driving to Arbogrunt's. After consulting the brainboxes of the owners club, a blocked diesel filter was diagnosed and , upon its removal, a large blob of jelly-like matter was found in it. It seems that the extreme cold at the moment had solidified the crap removed by the biodiesel and it was blocking the filter enough to cause a misfire. Not sure if the type of biodiesel I was using was to blame as I only used one supplier, but, for me, the biodiesel experiment is over.:thumbdown:

I worked as an AA patrol for seven years and what you describe is something I saw untold times.

• 8 months later...
i have been researching the process of making biodiesel.

the blob of jelly is glycerine - the by-product of the chemical reaction.

it can be washed through - but some just leave it in bottom of the can when its separated.

i believe after some close inspection of different set-ups, it would make sense to make it yourself.

i would only recommend to non-injection and non-common-rail.

All Diesel engines are fuel injected:confused1:

All Diesel engines are fuel injected:confused1:

Yes. :001_rolleyes:

I once saw a LR Disco with "Turbo Diesel Injection" written on the side! Owner thought that was what Tdi stood for lol.

I think that fuel injection becoming popular on spark-ignition engines more recently has confused the public into thinking it's a newer type of fuel system. Oil burners have been injected since the year dot.

The glycerine only exists where the SVO / WVO hasn't been trans-esterified properly. Back to the good old NaoH catalyst and all that... Saponification if you prefer.

Yes. :001_rolleyes:

I once saw a LR Disco with "Turbo Diesel Injection" written on the side! Owner thought that was what Tdi stood for lol.

I think that fuel injection becoming popular on spark-ignition engines more recently has confused the public into thinking it's a newer type of fuel system. Oil burners have been injected since the year dot.

The glycerine only exists where the SVO / WVO hasn't been trans-esterified properly. Back to the good old NaoH catalyst and all that... Saponification if you prefer.

What about the Naturally Aspirated 2.25 diesel Series 2, 2a and early 3 Land Rovers? Were they not carb fed deisel powered?

What about the Naturally Aspirated 2.25 diesel Series 2, 2a and early 3 Land Rovers? Were they not carb fed deisel powered?

No. I have heard of some engines used on machinery that used a carb and petrol to start up and then when running switched to diesel.

I've never heard of a road going vehicle having this overly complex system though.