Best way to run in a saw?

Sam Thompson

Hullo all :)

What do we recon is the best way to run in a shiny new cutter then? Hopefully getting my Husky 346XP from Joneses on Wednesday and haven't run in a saw before, always used someone elses!

Cheers lads

Sam :biggrin:

Let it tick over for a couple of mins..

Then full gas for the rest of it's life, 2 strokes are made to rev..

Sorry but I disagree with that. I idle and gently rev a new machine for the first tank. Treat it carefully by not revving for a long time on the second. A new machine still needs to bed in IMO and there is more friction in the working parts.

How can being gentle with it for the first few tanks have a negative effect? :confused1:

Just use it as it was intened, moden machining and materials are so good "running in" is really just a lip service thing. Being to gentle with moden engines can have a negative affect.

This is what I disagreed with as others had posted in between!!

Sorry but I disagree with that. I idle and gently rev a new machine for the first tank. Treat it carefully by not revving for a long time on the second. A new machine still needs to bed in IMO and there is more friction in the working parts.

How can being gentle with it for the first few tanks have a negative effect? :confused1:

It has been proved that being to gentle or running engines in a tad rich thinking your doing the right thing prevents the internals from "lapping" in correctly and actually slowing the bedding in process.

ive always believed that giving a fresh engine some hammer, getting it loaded up asap beds the rings in a lot better. have come across several car engine rebuilds that have suffered as a result of being 'too gentle'.

with my new 372 and 200t, they were the first 'new' saws ive owned, and they went to work the 2nd time they were run, but that was out of necessity more than anything