Going halves on a chipper - the pitfalls?

TimberCutterDartmoor

If you take the human emotion out of the equation, it works. When have you ever done a business deal, be it buying a house, vehicle etc with a professional company that it has come back and bitten you because someone went in the huff? Thats madness, business is business, the reason people fall out is because we all have diferent rules that we follow and even if they are similar there are diferent levels of the same view.

Rule 1, Only the owners of the chipper can use it.

Rule 2, All bookings of the chipper must be with in 5 days notice.

Rule 3. If there is a day where both parties need the chipper, try and arrange a diferent day, or when all other efforts are exhausted, flip a coin.

Rule 4, If either party at any point thinks it isnt going well, TOUGH!! you signed the agreement now grow up.:biggrin:

TCD, i have met you, you are a businessman. You will not hold back or go in the huff, if you have worked with this other guy for a while then he must be similar.

From a paranoid point of view based on others experiences, you could think this or that and he might not want to use you or vice versa.

Write that into the deal aswell if you like, he might have the same anxiety about the situation. Comunication, man to man:thumbup1:

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you take the human emotion out of the equation, it works. When have you ever done a business deal, be it buying a house, vehicle etc with a professional company that it has come back and bitten you because someone went in the huff? Thats madness, business is business, the reason people fall out is because we all have diferent rules that we follow and even if they are similar there are diferent levels of the same view.

:

I have had loads of occasions where I have been shafted by a professional Co. Not because any one got in a huff, but because they put themselves first (just as I do) now they got away with it because they had what they wanted righten in the small print and I did not have the time or inclination to read it all :001_rolleyes:

With the best will in the world TCD will not have the time or expertize to wright enough info into a contract too cover every eventuality.

I think it could very easily go pear shaped.

i went halves on a chipper with 'another member' on here also. its been a complete nightmare from start to finish :sneaky2:

haha just kidding.

if the 2 of you are going to be using it a lot then its going to creat problems. fortunately for us, neither of us uses it that much and theres rarely been a clash. i think im lucky if i use it once a month, this is why its worked for us so well.

which reminds me...i need the chipper wednesday andy :biggrin:

When a plan comes together :biggrin: HHHMMM Pear shaped it may go ? Dont do it fella .

Edited by White Noise

I have had loads of occasions where I have been shafted by a professional Co. Not because any one got in a huff, but because they put themselves first (just as I do) now they got away with it because they had what they wanted righten in the small print and I did not have the time or inclination to read it all :001_rolleyes:

With the best will in the world TCD will not have the time or expertize to wright enough info into a contract too cover every eventuality.

I think it could very easily go pear shaped.

so you admit it went wrong because YOU got it wrong, not the paperwork, if you read it and didnt like it you would never of entered the deal so would never of had a problem:001_smile:

as far as a contract goes, this took 0.33 secs from google, matbe not perfect but hopefully you get my point:thumbup1:

Sample Partnership Agreement

so you admit it went wrong because YOU got it wrong, not the paperwork, if you read it and didnt like it you would never of entered the deal so would never of had a problem:001_smile:

[/url]

Indeed, but I have no alternative to using a Co for insurance, phones, insurance, finance, etc. So I accept I will get shafted to a point:001_rolleyes:

But here TCD does have the option to keep control of the whole situation, buy owning the chipper out right.

I am only expressing my own point of view and what I would chose to do, which is what we were asked to provide :001_smile:

just don't share it

it'll end in tears

mark my words

even if you are both straight about it- they'll be the day when you want it and he has used it the day before , finished late and left it needing attention- gonna cause friction. Or the day you want it and the weather closes in and means you go into another day- when he has it booked. You just not going to be the same friends as before- he's got the climbing skills and now a chipper so only you can lose.

I know this sounds negative but...............................

It's experience i suppose

I agree with this . For me I would never do it as belive it will end in tears its all good and dandy untill one of you does something the other does not like then the squabbles start you might as well just chip the chipper in half and go your seprate ways .

I never ever lend out or go halfs on equipment I know where I am with it all and then if somehing brakes its down to me and I am not then having to aruge with the other person as to who is going to pay for damage or stuggle to get the equipment when i need it .

I have a motto and its KIS ( Keep it simple ) it makes for a happy life

all the best with what you decide

Littletree:thumbup:

If you are hardly going to use the chipper then I can see it working and financially its probably for the best.

If you are going to be using it quite a bit then theres no way I would go halves plus surely if its getting used a lot it will be paying for itself fairly quickly.

I would just by a good secondhand machine on my own rather than a brand new one and go halves.

Hope it works out whatever you do.:thumbup1:

From my point of view, buying the chipper between us made sense. Of all the people I've worked with, Steve is probably the only person I would consider, and I have other people who for one reason or another I know it just wouldnt work out.

We dont make a big fuss out of it, if we happen to clash on a date we sort it out to both our satisfaction. We have both moved on in our own directions since the machine was bought (we were working together quite a bit), and yet it still hasnt caused any grief for either of us. Communication is the key. All I will say now is that if you arent entirely certain for any reason, dont do it.