What happens when the lad has a go !

bjam1964

Leyburn Lad,

I remember your Father and the accident , he was a smashing bloke , thanks for posting that.

Ive got to say that looking at the photos it was an accident on the cards once the back cut started, the gob was never going to allow that tree to come down in one unless you chased it off the stump and thats not going to happen with a pulled tree.

Ive seen it happen with experienced guys when everything looked right, but tbh the signs of things going wrong were there in this instance but luckily the guy got away with it , if that tree had taken him with it looking back at his mistakes might not have been much use to him then hey?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We let our college recruit have a go with this Ash - I don't think his CS31 prepared him for this :001_huh:

Luckily no harm done to man or beast and the next lesson was how to dismantle difficult trees :laugh1:

You or someone else more experienced should've seen his back-cut was far too low and stepped in and stopped the cutting, particularly when you were working on an Ash - a species well known for barber-chairing.

Glad no-one was hurt.

What is a scandinavian cut?

The Scandinavian cut is much like the dog tooth you gob out, then bore in and cut towards the back of the tree, then you remove part of the saw so you leave a support at the back, then your saw is out and you can put your breaker bar/ wedge. Then simply finish of the rest of the cut!

admittedly wasn't on the CS 31 course when I did it a bit over 4 year ago, but i went on a course to learn how to become an instructor and i was tought this, very useful cut for basically all trees! :thumbup1:

Thanks LeyburnLad , Thats a powerful and moving account of how accidents effect everyone from the victim, to colleauges and especialy to loved ones. I know it is a highly personal account relating to your fathers incident but could I possibly photocopy your post and allow my Arb students the opportunity to read it. It may avoid others having to endure the hardship and trauma that you and your family had to go through.

Respectfully yours

Dave

No Problem Dave, I put it down on paper several years ago when carrying out inhouse training for a large utility arb company, a lot of the guys were brand new to the industry, it certainly pricks a few ears up to how dangerous this line of work is and how if your just slightly of your guard the **** can hit the fan big time.

Jason

Leyburn Lad,

I remember your Father and the accident , he was a smashing bloke , thanks for posting that.

Ive got to say that looking at the photos it was an accident on the cards once the back cut started, the gob was never going to allow that tree to come down in one unless you chased it off the stump and thats not going to happen with a pulled tree.

Ive seen it happen with experienced guys when everything looked right, but tbh the signs of things going wrong were there in this instance but luckily the guy got away with it , if that tree had taken him with it looking back at his mistakes might not have been much use to him then hey?

We all make mistakes, hopefully he walks away now and realises how close he was to a nasty knock, we all have a laugh and joke and take the p**s when sombody cocks up myself probably been one of the worst offenders at times, but when there new blood to the industry they should be shown the negative side of what can happen when it goes wrong.

I use the account of my fathers accident in any training I carry out, I never read it out, I leave the class room for a smoke and let them read it themselves, to much for me to try tell that to a class of strangers even now after all this time.

By all means if any body wants to take a copy off here and keep it in the van or where ever for there staff to read etc then take it, it may just stop sombody from that cut to far.

How did you know my old man Logger?