Who's on the ground

Arbre

arbre lets be fair it is clear from your post that you are clearly not happy working in this way which is absolutely correct so put a price on your head, I want a groundman wiv CS38 or find sum1 else. If he isn’t prepared to do it is he really worth working for because as far as I see it he is showing a total disregard of your safety, it only takes one mistake. Just my view!!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not wanting to open a tin of worms,, but in other threads when ariel rescue is discussed the common point made is that the best person to get someone out of a tree is the person themselves,,, unless of course they are unconscious,,

i'm not saying he should be climbing without a second climber,, i'm just saying that in other threads ariel rescue is often mocked

not wanting to open a tin of worms,, but in other threads when ariel rescue is discussed the common point made is that the best person to get someone out of a tree is the person themselves,,, unless of course they are unconscious,,

i'm not saying he should be climbing without a second climber,, i'm just saying that in other threads ariel rescue is often mocked

True.

But this guy is not happy to climb without a climbing groundie and its not for his boss to tell him he should work without one.

If I personally felt I may need rescuing I would quit, but thats just me.

I think after reading all of the posts If you go to work for a company as a climber then you shold expect to see the correct personal on the ground that complies wth the H&S guidlines to help ensure your safety this would be standard pratice. if this is not in place then if you feel unsafe then dont go up simple and just say sorry not happy and not going to do it.

Its a hard one when you are self employed to trying to get the things a company does changed . in short if the person paying you needs you to climb then if you say you wont do it unless you have the correct people on the ground then its down to the boss to fix it if he wants you to continue . unless you have argeed to yourself to provide you own groundsman then thats different .

From my own experince as self employed working sometimes for companys on that basis . If I enjoy my time with them and everything is good and i feel safe with them then happy days and I take work from them again .

on the other hand if I dont feel safe and am unhappy with how things are going then I just move on and dont work for them again .

I think even if the money is top notch if you are personaly unhappy with things then you have to make your own mind up what you will and will not do . its acutally you that controls the strings if you look at it this way round .

Good luck and all the best

Littletree.:thumbup:

True.

But this guy is not happy to climb without a climbing groundie and its not for his boss to tell him he should work without one.

If I personally felt I may need rescuing I would quit, but thats just me.

totally agree with you,, was not disputing that either,,:thumbup1:

Thanks for all the very usefull comments.

Sunday went well and I only did minimal climbing and was overly cautious.

I think as Littletree says at the end of the day it's in my hands - no one is forcing me to do the work. I shall talk to the boss about tree surgery in general as I think he is not fully aware of the guides and controls in the industry compared with the less regulated nature of his normal grass cutting and hedge trimming work.