Not so old but still cynical

SiW

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it just me or do other people find that some of the questions raised show a fundamental lack of knowledge of trees are the arboricultural industry?

I expect you were a beginner once too....

Other than sitting about waiting for divine inspiration how else do you learn if not by asking questions?

Maybe I just had a bad day

Maybe you did - don't take it out on the newbies though.

there are some guys on here that have been in the industry for many many years and possibly have forgotten more than you or i know about the industry BUT still these guys ask questions that in some cases us younguns can answer or at least add some imput to the subject , in an industry where systems of work and tecniques are constantly being updated and replaced i feel that Arb Talk is 100% worth it and so are the "silly questions" even if they only give you a laugh after a long day on the saw's . I personally have learn an awfull lot from some of the guys on here .Had it not been for Arb Talk i would not have seen the light of the unimog and certainly would not have had the help that i have needed allong the bumpy road owning a mog .

The day you stop learning is the day you die. I've been in the industry for 22 years and I'm still learning new stuff every week. New trees I've never come across, new jobs that need some thought power put in to how the job will be completed, young fellas who need advice on how set up on their own. There's a multitude of questions to be asked and just because one question may sound dumb to one person it doesn't therefore mean it will sound dumb to all. Anybody should feel they can ask any question and not be snubbed because the answer might seem like common sense. I've asked my fair share of questions etc that now seem a bit silly but I got the answer by asking the dumb question in the first place. Some of the younger guys can teach me a few things and in turn I can still show them a thing or two. It's all reciprical. Ask away I say.

That reminds me of time I was on a month long clearane job, I was the foreman of a firm in Reading about 8 years ago. Came accross a tree which was down for felling, didn't recognise it. So spent a few hours searching through the books over the weekend before identifying it as perottica persica, Persian iron wood. Went back the next week and felled it as required. Have only come accross a few since then. Time spent gaining knowledge is never wasted

That reminds me of time I was on a month long clearane job, I was the foreman of a firm in Reading about 8 years ago. Came accross a tree which was down for felling, didn't recognise it. So spent a few hours searching through the books over the weekend before identifying it as perottica persica, Persian iron wood. Went back the next week and felled it as required. Have only come accross a few since then. Time spent gaining knowledge is never wasted

The last sentence says it all. To add to that my old man never tired of telling me; 'a man who never makes a mistake never does anything'.