Tonights wind

tommer9

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This might be a bit of a dumb question but I'm new to wood burning: do logs burn faster when there is wind whipping around your chimney flue?

the chimney needs to draw air upwards so it makes sense that wind passing by will achieve this, if its a still day and the chimney isn't drawing (it fills the room with smoke instead) get a hairdrier or blowtorch and blast some heat up the chimney to get it pulling:thumbup1:

I've got both vents fully closed. I think that the defra approved model (which I have) doesn't allow you to close as much as the non approved one. I wonder if you lose a little bit of efficiency control due to this. This fire goes up like a rocket when I put a match to it, due to the flexible flue liner and the vermiculite insulation in the chimney cavity.

I can understand the physics behind oxygen requirements for fire and hence the rush you get when you open the door slightly but I would have thought that with warm air rising through the flue, oxygen couldn't descend to feed it.

Anyhow its bloody windy and I've a feeling tomorrow is going to be busy! Sorry to derail the thread!