Beechwood - Tree spade to move memorial tree

Simon Rotheram

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That lorry needs counter weights :biggrin:

Not sure about counter weights, but you'd have thought some sort of rear jack legs - if nothing else to protect the back end springs etc on the lorry.

Thats a fair price considering the cost of a similar sized new tree and associated planting costs. Good move:biggrin:

something i've always wondered about transplanting trees (and planting of youngens to a lesser extent) has been; is the aspect of the tree retained, ie is the south side of the tree replanted facing south and could this have any relationship to the success rate?

Definitely one sweet truck! :thumbup1:

something i've always wondered about transplanting trees (and planting of youngens to a lesser extent) has been; is the aspect of the tree retained, ie is the south side of the tree replanted facing south and could this have any relationship to the success rate?

Definitely one sweet truck! :thumbup1:

Experience from Germany shows its beneficial if the tree has the same facing as before, if that cant be achived then a wrapping of hessian is very good. Some problems with sunscald may be avoided and the tree suffers less from the relocation stress. The way they transplant trees is in my opinion the best way and a bit more expensive, but growing rate in the first years shows that they are on the right track. They take out the new hole with the spade and then a mini digger expands the hole 1 m in diameter, put the tree down and add a porous soil (pumice and lava has been trialed) with good water and air content around the tree after a proper rootpruning. The area around the tree is called "rehabilitationzone" and normally after a growwing season the whole area is full of fine roots. Its important to break up the sides of the pit to make sure the tree doesent get "potted" PLENTY of water is needed first 2-3 years. I know relocation has been "sucsessfull" without these extravagaza measures...but I'm looking at trees in my hometown that has been moved some 20 years ago and they are still suffering from stress...with impaired growingrate:thumbdown: Yes they are still alive, but.... Hopefully I will be involved in a big moving project next year. 20 lime trees with 80-100 cm is hopefully beeing relocated due to development.

It would be a good experiment to airspade one of these relocated trees up in 10 years time, just to see if the large severed roots react the same as a large severed branch and form a decay pocket similar to a topping cut rot pocket, so by weakening the root plate.

I would imaging different species of tree would heal better than others etc same as they do with topping cuts.

What we are doing in reality is "bottoming" a tree instead of "topping" it :biggrin:

Simon, was this done in one hit, or were the roots pruned last year in preparation for the move this year?

It would have been recommended to have root pruned the tree 12 months previous using the spade, unfortunatly there wasnt the comfort of time as it is being excavated for a roadway today!