General Tree pics

Andy Collins

Nice work Carl.

Did the Beech snap out from a twin stem or old wound?

Any shots of decay/dysfunctional wood at point of failure ?

D

Twin stem, as you can see, the base of the tree is healthy and peachy, apparently though, it was in a bit of a state at the failure location.

Failure Location!!!

Get me and my vo-cab.

Anyway, I am waiting on some more pictures.:sleep1:

Twas a night before Christmas and the owner of the property thought he heard what he thought was the picnic bench lifting and dragging across the outside terrace with the wind, what had really happened is that a large Beech had snapped about 20 ft up, smashed the top out of a lime, glanced off an Ash and smashed a couple of branches off a Horse Chestnut narrowly missing the garage, putting some dings in the Range Rover and the Mercedes hood and coming to rest on the oil tank.

Little weight reduction/reshape of the Chestnut, top the lime, remove any hangers, fun Friday.

Should title this post as 'Heading cuts after storm damage' then I would come across as a right smart barsteward.

Nice one mate.

Just found another of Tony and I dismantling a multi-stem lambardy Poplar last summer. I'm the one at the top. We were using a one tie, one cut technique. This job was one with a neighbour kicking off cos she did not want it down. It stood in the centre of four gardens and was subject to a tpo but had split and was condemed for being dangerous. Had a fair old heated discussion with her and the fella. Sometimes being diplomatic takes all your patience doesn't it.

Nev.

img002.jpg.aa24c8badbf9a50f11fe40c2dafe3915.jpg

Just for a giggle, then I will pack it in with the photos lol, I thought you may like this one. I went to the dark side for money once and pursued utiliy arb. Just so happened my mate Marc, an experienced and morally correct arborist, came to work with me as well, got a lot of training it has to be said and now have tickets coming out of my ring piece, electrical qualifications and the like, so that was good. Something to fall back on anyway. We made up a team at the arb association conference a couple of years back and won. Was a great day.

I still think there is room for utility arb to become respected. It just requires a change in attitude from the top down and a willingness to change from within the industry. I went as a fully experienced tree surgeon and could not believe, NO REALLY COULD NOT BELIEVE! some of what went on but on the other hand some of the changes that happened while I was there were brilliant. A lot of novice climbers being given loads of good equipment and then being thrown in at the deep end and left to their own devices hardly fills one with confidence, but I have to say I met some very skilled and ethical people in my time doing utilities. But thats a different thread I guess. The best thing was the $, I have never made so much money in my life!

Nev.

img004.jpg.a351273f39da396e945c5256d8ec4703.jpg