General Tree pics

Andy Collins

- you've done a great job there mate, very nice indeed.

agree!

I would of liked to of seen high scales beach going over on video,did you run for your life when those buttresses tore off,was it all in slow motion or lightning fast???did you have time to get the saw out??

agree!

I would of liked to of seen high scales beach going over on video,did you run for your life when those buttresses tore off,was it all in slow motion or lightning fast???did you have time to get the saw out??

Matty after some posts on the Treehouse and a chat with an old time feller today who started out in the 1970s I went about the tree all wrong, I should have followed my gut and cut higher and left the buttress's alone.

The tree went over very fast once it had pinched the bar, we were trying to get it out when the buttress broke, I have probably not moved faster in my life but were far enough away when it hit the deck.

As my experienced friend said "You will no better next time and the tree is down and nobody got hurt"

We were lucky, it's lack of skill on my part and I will be far more careful next time.

Matty after some posts on the Treehouse and a chat with an old time feller today who started out in the 1970s I went about the tree all wrong, I should have followed my gut and cut higher and left the buttress's alone.

The tree went over very fast once it had pinched the bar, we were trying to get it out when the buttress broke, I have probably not moved faster in my life but were far enough away when it hit the deck.

As my experienced friend said "You will no better next time and the tree is down and nobody got hurt"

We were lucky, it's lack of skill on my part and I will be far more careful next time.

going low is good when you are working 90 degrees with the lean, even when the hinge goes to pot the butresses hold on that little bit longer and rip into the ground, i learnt the similar way but it was to my advantage. i would of went higher on that beech just out of lazyness mate. but you are all right, wiser and as the old guy said no one got hurt. i remember doing a masive oak when i first started. it had a massive lean, it was my first shot of an 88. was so excited i just came horsing in from the back, ye haa. barbers chair about 20 feet up. shxt myself. lucky i was at the side. we call it "nippy arse" when you are doing big fells. the amount of times i have bolted because the tree made a noise, but never moved. better safe than sorry i say. well done mate :001_smile:

i felled a huge dead walnut tree a few years ago and it had a slight lean in the direction of fall, i cut one side of the backcut starting from the hinge working out and then worked my way round as it was about 48" diameter where i was cutting, as i got three quarters throuugh the back cut i was lifted up into the air as it took the side roots where i was standing with it....i should have dog toothed it from both sides and finished at the back in hinesight....brown boxers after that tree!!!:scared1:

Yes Pete. I should have left them, it's one of those trees that you will always look back on and think, I should have...

Talking about it last night over some beers with a mate we decided just pulling the tree over with a fat winch would have been the thing to do, no cutting just rip it over.

This is not meant as a criticism, but more as constructive advice, lookingat the photos i am assuming that picture five with the diagonal cut and the saw in the picture is supposedly the gob. If this is the case and assuming that the photo was taken sideways on to the gob then this really is where a lot of the problems start. If you take a line up the tree from the back of the gob then there is very little throat at all as effectiveley all youve done is remove the front toe or buttress. It is better with trees like this to remove the toe first and then put the gob in. If in this case the photo tells the true story then the tree particularly with the rot involved had nowhere else to go but sit on the saw untill enough was released at the back for it to snap off. Removing side buttresses can more often than not be detrimental to the felling of large trees as you are giving away a lot of control you have over the tree.