Stein helmet Peltor ear muff problems ?

Littletree

I have a nice stein helmet but seem to be having problems with the ear muffs comming off and the bolt that holds it all together then gets lost in the process it has happened twice this week . anyone else had or having the same problems with theres ?. lucky justin had another bollt he kindly sent me the fist time then this time I had an old helmet with a similar speck ear muff so I was able to get the bolt off that .

I think I have found a solution to the bolt comming off I have fixed it in wth

(No more nails) so hoping that this is the last time the muffs and bolt comming off and it will stay fixed for good .

Littletree:thumbup:

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi littletree, sorry, can't help with your problem but you might be able to help with mine. I'm due a new helmet as my vertex vent is about out of date and have been looking at the Stein helmets. I'd appreciate your view on them and if you use the solid visor or have opted for the mesh visor?

Hi there glad to help . I do like mine I opted for the clear pull down visor gogle type but I must say they I dont find them very good as they dont stay clear for very long it smears very very easily its hard to keep clean and if it rains again you cannot use it at all as you just cannot see through it .

When I first got my helmet it fitted perfect and did not slip around but now after some time the cradle has stretched and now it slips about . my head was small so it fitted fine on the smallist setting but now its stretched i cannot go any tighter so am going to put some padding in to make it smaller again.

Overall I do love the helmet but i might change the gogles for somehting else

hope this helps

Helps heaps thanks muchly. I did wonder about the goggle visor thing. I haven't found any visor or safety glass style yet that keeps clean or doesn't fog up when you get a sweat on. Nothing worse than trying to peer through a visor full of Pine sap....except for maybe a chunk of wood chip in your eye.

I am just about to take mine off as its just adding stuff to the helmet thats not in use they very hard to keep clean allways smeared what ever you do the more you try to clean it the worse it gets unless you have clean cloths and a tap .

I have tried differnt gogles visors to keep the stuff out of you eyes . its dificult the standard plastic visors let the sawdust and fine bits through and the clear plastic stop the suff gettin in but become smeared and unusable very quickly . i did like the buzz eyes so far the have proved the best yet.

one gets usto the little mesh in front of you face within a cuple of mins but the mesh makes your environment look a little dark .

Its a difficult one and I think most people have this problme and tried all sorts of gogles visors glasses to try and keep out the bits in our demanding job.

All the best

Hi littletree,I'm not familliar with the Stien helmet,but if the nuts are made of metal try a dab of 'loctite' thread fastener,or a very tiny bit of superglue on the back of the nut to prevent it unthreading,just a small amount mind,or you may have trouble getting it undone in the future.

I have in the past created friction between a nut & bolt,in non crucial aplications,by standing the nut on one face of its hexagonal,on a hard surface,and giving it a tap or two with a light hammer to deform it out of true slightly so it pinches the thread a bit,but try threading them up together after each 'tap',as if you flatten the nut too much it wont go on.

I'm going to keep my head down now for fear of a multitude of fellow arbtalkers screaming 'Bodger' at me!:bash::blushing::001_rolleyes::biggrin:

Hiya have had all the same probs myself with the ear muffs the 1st time lost the bolt but the suppliers kindly sent somemore and said they had never heard of that happening thankfully the 2nd time they fell off I was able to find the bolts and fixings and touch wood have stayed put since!!!

As for the stretching cradle i'm with u on that one don't think i'd buy one again as also have a little head!!!