Descenders

DrewB

hello i am new to arb stuff but i am an outdoor instructor and read with intrest the thread. i looked on a company called rock and run who have a lot of kit from a lot of companies and noticed the TRANGO CINCH

Trango Cinch

have a look i dont know how any descender works with so much rope under yourself. 3 suggestions on the figure of 8 side of things

a cardiac arrester i think from dmm

DMM Cardiac Arrester

or the dmm anka

DMM Anka

or the petzl pirana

Petzl - Pirana Canyon - Outdoor Equipment and Clothing for Backpacking, Hiking, Trekking, Hill Walking and all other types of Leisure and Adventure Travel

all of these last 3 devices and a modification on the figure of 8 but still share the basic prinicpal

please note with the pitana there is a karabiner made by petzl specifcally for the pirana.

yours ian c

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a big fan of the trango cinch too but we wore through these too, again the alloy is just to soft- if they made one in stainless steel it would work quite well, but we also managed to wear through the stainless wear point inside the cinch. Like you said, I don't think anything will work well due to th nature of the task.the fig 8 twisted too much also

Can't help you buddy I'm afraid, but just out of interest how much would that amount of rope weigh in at?

I think about 50kgs when hanging straight plus friction once it's touching the rock, so not overly massive amounts of weight

Small stainless steel portawrap?

good idea Pete. If you backed it up with a friction hitch below the device it would be very usable. Takes all the strain off your arms tending the rope into the device & managing the back-up. Same would apply if you used a fig 8 or similar device.

good idea Pete. If you backed it up with a friction hitch below the device it would be very usable. Takes all the strain off your arms tending the rope into the device & managing the back-up. Same would apply if you used a fig 8 or similar device.

No need, seperate safety line is already part of the system, so total redundancy is built in.

basicly a petzle Tuba guys , have a look - actually looks like it would also be great for lightweight lowering maybe

That is designed specifically for passing knots through, and costs £200. Stainless porty costs $109 from Sherrill, bearing in mind it will be destroyed by the end of the trip, I think its a better choice.

petzl%20tuba.jpg