£300 fine or £180 if paid within ten days.

Mick Stockbridge

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I appreciate the law is the law and people have their jobs todo ie stop people inpsect etc. i was talking about this just the other day with a customer that just so happens to be rather high up in the police force, i did some hedge trimming for him, and told him about waste carrying ie hedge trimmings etc, he was of the opinion that in his area it was not a issue carrying green waste as they were only interested in the scrap metal "people" as it was a reason to stop and search as he put it usually its the travelling fraternity and we like to have a chat with them. seems like a very regional thing

Surely its only waste if you say its waste. Chip can be sold or used. Its what you say rather than what you do that gets you convicted of offences.

No its all down to ownership. You are providing a service to dispose of your customers wood chippings (ie their waste). You could buy the chippings from the customer but you must have a paper trail that will stand up in court. (ie normal contract stuff of offer,acceptance and consideration)

Perhaps it is worth registering for exemption T6 - treatment of waste wood and waste plant matter by chipping, shredding, cutting or pulverising. Conditions being no more than 500 tonnes a day and stored for no more than 3 months after treatment.

This can be undertaken at any location so long as the conditions are met

The question is, will this 'treated' waste then be not classified as the 'controlled' waste that the duty of care transfer notes relate to. Will endeavour to find out

Virgin timber consists of "primarily" woodchip

What percentage of leaf to timber is "primarily"

How, upon inspection of your load does the inspectee assertain the volume of leaf within the load.

How would they measure leaf content if it did go to court

If I take down a tree I might take away 4 loads, one of those loads may contain more leaf than the other three, but as a whole, it would be a minute percentage of leaf over the whole waste taken away.

I reckon a good lawyer will pull holes in this legislation

How, upon inspection of your load does the inspectee assertain the volume of leaf within the load.

If I take down a tree I might take away 4 loads, one of those loads may contain more leaf than the other three, but as a whole, it would be a minute percentage of leaf over the whole waste taken away.

:congrats::congrats:

Good lawyers cost good money, I recon a fine would be much cheaper.

I still think that brash tied down on a tipper truck is waste, woodchip has already been converted to a product, virtually all of mine goes to allotments where they love the stuff, even Leylandii gets used although its not as popular as say winter Beech chip!

Because its not going to a tip, then it cant be waste.

Although I got a feeling you would need a waste transfer license or something for that to work.