Toyota Hilux 2.5 HL2 D4D good or bad for towing and general tree work

Leyburn Lad

The early new shape hilux's late 05 plate onwards where the 102 bhp, If the vehicle has an air intake vent/scoop on the top of the bonnet it will be the updated 120 bhp engine which was introduced 07 i think.

The latest variant of the 2.5 is 144 bhp, it is simply the 120 engine with a remapped output. You can do this to the 120 engine for roughly £400.00 if you want the extra oomph.

Mpg is better with the higher output, and is noticable when towing.

Hope this helps.

Is this something you have had done yourself, just bought one today on a 57plate with bonnet scoop 120 bhp

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if there's been any problems reported over in the UK but I have heard a couple of stories here of the Pistons disintegrating in the Hilux. I have aguy here that blew the eengine up after only a few thousand. The truck was regularly serviced and well looked after but he's having a huge issue getting Toyota to pay for the repairs. Apparently it's not the only one.

We have a 3ltre Hilux down in West Dorset. Its very nice and will quite happily tow 3.5 ton (strengthened chassis and reinforced towhitch) at 50. Incredibly smooth and handles the bumps very well. I shall try and get some pictures of it when i am down that way. It is currently in the workshop after the assistant ranger blew the transfer box taking it out of low range at 30. I did warn him that you have to be stationary to take it out but he was reading the high range 4x4 bit.

The Hilux can tow 2800kg!

The sales leaflet is incorrect, if you look under the bonnet you should find the tow capacity there!

Wile the subtraction of GVW from GTW may equal 2800kg it is well documented in both printed literature and on Toyota UK web site that it is NOT 2800kg it is 2250kg, also the UK spec Hilux is heaver (kerb) and/or has a higher GVW than its EU counter part, if you look on Toyota Germany, France, Spain, Netherlands, Belgum websites you will see the variation in towing weights and GVW with the Netherlands obviously being the highest due to the countries flat nature and the hiluxes lower kerb weight vs. the UK one.

FYI: The towing weight on any vehicle is limited to the lowest maximum weight printed on any individual towing component rather than the highest weight printed on the VIN plate!

Toyota sales men often dream up excuses for the 2250kg by saying its wrong as it’s the EU specs or an EU brochure, well they don’t speak English in the EU they have there own brochure in there own language printed in there own country and the “EU specs” actually is bullshit because the towing weights change from country to country because of there own local laws, the UK and Germany have the toughest laws thus the UK hilux is 2250kg towing capacity and 3020kg GVW and the German one 2500kg on hills less than <12% (<1:8.3) with the hiluxes GVW limited to 2760 kg (260kg GVW less than the UK one)

Or do people think Toyota somehow have an inability to put correct regional info on all there regional websites and in there brochure :001_rolleyes:

We have a 3ltre Hilux down in West Dorset. Its very nice and will quite happily tow 3.5 ton (strengthened chassis and reinforced towhitch) at 50. Incredibly smooth and handles the bumps very well. I shall try and get some pictures of it when i am down that way. It is currently in the workshop after the assistant ranger blew the transfer box taking it out of low range at 30. I did warn him that you have to be stationary to take it out but he was reading the high range 4x4 bit.

Unless Toyota UK were willing to change the GTW and the towing capacity on the VIN plate etc and warrant that it will conform to UK spec for hill starting at max GTW then it don’t mater how much it gets the chassis strengthened or the tow hitch reinforced. ;)

Edited by b101uk

4x4 pick up truck towing capacity, BHP and general reviews really is a minefield tbh, and one where I actually cant seem get a straight answer in print, on tinterweb or in conversation.

Does anyone know of a difinitive factsheet/web address where it outlines the above broken down into each spec and what they can tow, carry etc.

I am in the proces of looking a buying a truck to tow and this sort of info would be really handy. Thinking about an 05 L200, but dont want to hijack this thread, have searched all other threads here for that info.

Cheers

4x4 pick up truck towing capacity, BHP and general reviews really is a minefield tbh, and one where I actually cant seem get a straight answer in print, on tinterweb or in conversation.

Does anyone know of a difinitive factsheet/web address where it outlines the above broken down into each spec and what they can tow, carry etc.

I am in the proces of looking a buying a truck to tow and this sort of info would be really handy. Thinking about an 05 L200, but dont want to hijack this thread, have searched all other threads here for that info.

Cheers

leave it on the forecourt, there ok if your just pottering around etc, but start towing or long runs and the fuel is crippling, no major problems with mine but to be quite honest as a warrior spec it had all the toys but never really used them apart from the rear diff lock, the good thing with the l200 is its low gearing even in high range but the down side is crap economy on long runs 65mph at 3000rpm go above this and watch the guage plummet

Hey Leyburn Lad

I got the Steinbauer chip fitted in our 2007 hilux a few months after buying it. I was used to my 3.0L older hilux import which had plenty of grunt. So the 120bhp felt abit slower. Fine for reg use, but I tend to have a trailer on for 75% of my journeys towing around 2 ton on most days.

You will get on well with the new truck, toyota do build a good pickup my 1999 import has 230,000 on the clock, with no major work done, still drives well and is used daily. ( it has probably towed for 120,000 miles )

I have an extra cab on order with the 144bhp engine which we should be getting next month.

From memory the Chip was about £380.00 its a simple plug in harness that can be removed easily. Unfortunatley the company that I got it from have vanished but here is a link to Steinbauer:

STEINBAUER Tuning Technologies

Wile the subtraction of GVW from GTW may equal 2800kg it is well documented in both printed literature and on Toyota UK web site that it is NOT 2800kg it is 2250kg,

So let me get this stright.... You are saying that you ignore the weights stamped into the vehicle by the manufacturer and go by what's in the showroom brochures.

Didn't realise that's how it worked. :001_tt2:

Just re-read my post above and I think it may appear flippant. It wasn't meant to be, so I apologise now if it did.

I realise from your other posts that you are knowledgeable on this subject and would really like to hear your views on how a vehcile can have certain weights stamped onto the VIN plate which can be anything other than correct?