Toyota Hilux 2.5 HL2 D4D good or bad for towing and general tree work

Leyburn Lad

Now then, looking to replace my L200 warrior with something a little more newer, tryed looking for a Isuzu denver, but more chance of finding santa, so settled with getting a Hilux again wanted a 3.0 but any that are half decent seem way out of my price range (tight yorkshire man)

Settled on a Toyota hilux 2.5 on 07 plate hl2 spec with arb canopy, i am under the impression they are 120 bhp but after looking at reviews i am now totally baffeled.

the pick up has to tow a trailer and tracked chipper, the trailer is one of the tipping bed variety like fountain and tilhill use and the chipper is a 9inch jenson

Any tips info etc greatly accepted as i trundle the 4x4 minefield again:thumbup1:

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there is a calculation / ratio of weight of towing vehicle to gross train weight (car and trailer) and older toyotas being lighter than landrovers wernt legally allowed to tow as much even if engine was up to it ,but lighter toyota may keep you under the 3500 / 7500 kg limit for car licence

I have a td which is 80hp and pulls well when fully loaded but I dont use it for towing. the early d4d were only 102 hp so check the engine is the higher one if you need the power. Torque and low down power with lower ratios are as important for towing than outright bhp. The world seems to have gone power mad. Do we really need more than 120bhp even pulling trailers. I think the reason they need so much power to tow is they have overgeared them for quiet efficent high speed cruising.

The early new shape hilux's late 05 plate onwards where the 102 bhp, If the vehicle has an air intake vent/scoop on the top of the bonnet it will be the updated 120 bhp engine which was introduced 07 i think.

The latest variant of the 2.5 is 144 bhp, it is simply the 120 engine with a remapped output. You can do this to the 120 engine for roughly £400.00 if you want the extra oomph.

Mpg is better with the higher output, and is noticable when towing.

Hope this helps.

i looked into hil uxs recently the tow capacity in the sales leaflet for a brand new hilux was the same as when i owned one 10 years ago tow capacity 2250kg 550 kg less than my 2001 model navara ive ended up with a 3.0 L isuzu rodeo 3000kg tow capacity (had 2000kg of sand in my tipper trailer which weighs approx 500kg ) towed really well