Text speak

Taupotreeman

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At least with firewood man's statement I know I don't understand Welsh so there's no point even trying to translate but I spend way too long with either text speak or just plain poor spelling trying to understand what the hec someone is attempting to say. I find myself going over stuff time and again and even googling various words to see if I can make head or tale of it but eventually I have to read the other posts to see if someone else has got the gist of it and can enlighten me with their answer, if that makes sense. Either that or I just give up. At least for us old farts try and make things a bit easier for us....please. Maybe I should start posting in Maori and everyone else can post in their own native diallect and see what confusion we can cause in a short space of time.

Ja för det här forumet skulle annars vara ett forum där alla talar samma språk, så att vi kan diskutera viktiga trädämnen...:sneaky2:

ja för det här forumet skulle annars vara ett forum där alla talar samma språk, så att vi kan diskutera viktiga trädämnen...

Yes cause this forum could otherwise be a forum where everyone is understood and we could discuss important treeissues...:sneaky2:

I thught I was pretty clear and concise...should I had put it in text instead?:confused1:

Is it just the fact that I'm now classed as a miserable old bugger? I seem to have a problem understanding some of the newer threads posted on the forum these days and tend to spend five minutes deciphering what is being said or is trying to be said. Some of the threads need more patience than trying to understand the engima code. Is it just me and do I need to get with the times or is anyone else suffering the same problem.

I end up having to use wikipedia for a translation most of the time, not a clue what the vast majority of it means:blushing:

On the topic of modern lingo, I love these series of sketches from Armstrong and Millar - here is my favourite one:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLFGvuhJlUI]YouTube - Armstrong and Miller - Pilot has Lost his Leg[/ame]

They have started putting bloody adverts on Youtube now - argh!!

Generally speaking, I get very frustrated with people that don't make an effort to communicate effectively. Text speak, very strong regional accents and general laziness reduce the universality and usefulness of the English language. I do think that forums should be a place free of text speak.

Jonathan

I hate texts on my phone unless its short like a postcode or tel no. You can speak much faster than text and for us old gits we have cheap phone credit. I notice the people who demand the most texts send the least. So we make their lives easier but if you need a post code off them they force you to pull over and write it down:mad1: