Non-tightening knot?

Mark Bolam

This is what I use with a stick etc stuck in the knot if needs be....

Blazer I think means the same.

Never had a knot stuck, used with all winches and easy and no extra kit:thumbup:

When in pic 2 go round back of the 'tree' (as bowline n rabbit) rope, then feed it through the middle of the twists add stick .....jobs a good un

IMG_0351.jpg.7bb59689d8c86763a8dc2b74233a2d7e.jpg

IMG_0350.jpg.23c50bd845794b4535cf958a7098f78d.jpg

IMG_0348.jpg.358065e97938a7b6aa6249ab3c3a1858.jpg

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Simular, I must try and post some pictures. I think mine is a sort of boat mooring hitch but I learnt this hitch from a group of Druids when building them a stone circle with 10 ton stones all by hand 12 yrs ago (long story). We once broke a 10ton sling pulling a stone, whipping a girls butt, after that I banned the use of any shackles on any winch job. It was impossible to estimate the load with 30m pine tree as a lever pulled by a group of semi clothed druids.I also use it to erect a carved tree and it could be released without climbing.

I later tried out the hitch pulling trees say 2 tonne and found it never jammed and with no end loop with a straight end, it could be pulled out from under the tree

I used to work on oil tankers and the massive steam winches used to amuse me in the way the crew were only ever allowed to put two wraps around the say 3ft diameter winch and the large rope would grip well enough for one guy to pull the ship backwards. So with that level of grip simply by wrapping a rope around a tree a couple of times and making off the end by wrapping and tucking in the end it should hold - test first.

Blazer put some pics up of whipping semi clad female druid butts :thumbup:

My missus would kill me, lets say on the completion of the stone circle the Druids had a lets say 'Pagan night', the sight of the flickering fires throwing reflections of 'dymnaic bodies' against the stones - quite a memory.It took a while to get carefree display of flesh, at the end of the day they would jump into a large communal open hot bath:blushing: They only had 3-rules; no drink. no drugs. no electronic music - the rest goes. After a week I went home 'cream crackered':001_tt2:

Back to the knot look up on Google the 'lightermans hitch' - images. but as this hitch is for a bollard, on the final part instead of looping over the top of the bollard again, simply tuck the last loop into the the knot against the tree.:thumbup:

The disadvantage with putting any metalware in the system, be it porty or combi spanner, is if the line should snap above it, any stretch in the line will propel said metalware at the winch at a rate of knots.

Friction hitchs on the other hand can slip and glaze the pull line.

Knots can tighten up and are hard to loosen.

Every method has its pros and cons, so its always about the best solution for the problem at hand, rather than one blanket solution to every situation.