Forestry registered vehicles

There are still murmurings about MOT's being introduced for agricultural vehicles anyway due to the amount of time tractors spend on the road nowadays and there has been a crack down on agricultural trailers in some areas over the last year or two, so it could be that at some point in the future that you would'nt be any better off for ag registering a vehicle

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
If you use a vehicle registered as an "Agricultural" machine then it has to be used for Agriculture/Forestry/Horticultural purposes which can include roadside trees and hedges and for clearance of snow/gritting. It cannot according to the NFU and HMRC be used for private tree surgery work in gardens.

No MOT needed but vehicle should be as good as if going for one. (Lights/Brakes/Tyres/Mirrors/Seat lapbelt)

No Road Tax needed but you still have to place one from the DVLA in the front window.

Insurance is needed is going on a public highway for more than 1 mile and crossing.

Can have a number plate at each side instead of at the front/back. (Due to linkage equipment)

Legally can use red diesel on the road between work sites. (There is some discussion at present on distance allowed but I have in writing that provided you have work/materials on each site then this is allowed)

Service and maintenance is important to keep safe and earning without breakdowns.

Land Rovers used to be able to be registered as this class when the back PTO and Linkage was available from them.

If you use the machine for different purposes then expect it to be seized if stopped.

hi am working on a site doing a larch fell that is less than a mile from my house.

I live in a wood land and use a little,but very affective Suzuki sj to get about the woodland I live in. but to get to the wood we have a contract in I need to go on the road for all of 0.8miles on the road from mine to are access point.

at the moment I am taking my Landover 0.8miles on the road to are access point, and then as far as we can up the mountain but as it is a big old lump of truck that isn't very far and we are having to do a big clime with all are kit in rucksacks but I know the Suzuki would eat the hill and drive all the way up and around to the site.

what I would really like to know is where you have this info from and do you have it in writing as it would make are life so much easer if I could drive the Suzuki over the 0.8miles on road and all the way up to where we are working.

any info on this would be grate but need it in writing that stands up not just "I think you can...."

thanks all

Got myself a 1989 Mitsubishi Shogun yesterday. Enjoy driving it so much I might keep it fully road legal! Picked it up in Plymouth and drove it straight back to Edinburgh - 478 miles.

Will post pictures.

Jonathan

Apologies for de-rail (don't read this post unless you are Big J!!) Wish I'd known you were in Plymouth! We might have been able to catch up and you could have had a look at my flooring project in the old cow shed! I'm still a little way off from thinking of boards but will be in touch.

I have been informed by a working Farmer, that it has become more common to re-register MOT failed older LR type (but particularly older Toyotas) as an Ag veh, run them on Red, but (strictly?) limited public road use.

I do not understand the legalities, but there is another option, which I researched a few years ago, sommat along the lines of an off road/site vehicle, with limited use on the Public Highway to access other parts of the (same?) site/ sites under the same ownership.

Basically to allow one to cross a Public Highway to access grounds on the other side, within a limited distance.

Cos we got a Kawasaki Mule registered thus.