oak, your opinion please!!

robbo 110

Wake up guys, the modern way forward is selling by volume, hence oak is worth more.

Why is Oak worth more than Beech for instance??? A cubic metre of Oak is the exact same volume as a cubic metre of Beech.

Selling by cubic metre is only a way of quantifying what you have if you dont have a method of weighing it.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Blood sweat and tears i can vouch for that big bits of timber.

To be fair though it doesn't matter how big the trees were, and the end customer isn't paying for our blood and sweat so to make decent profit you have to be as efficient in all areas of production. From felling to processing. These factors should all be worked out before buying standing timber.

Some people love oak some dont. I dont think anyone would complain if it was mixed with beech and ash and would make a better easier to light fire. Timber over 20" in diameter is alot of hard work for firewood. I prefer to buy in as I cant afford to collect free firewood normally if that makes sense.

i had a ring round the regulars today, to see what they felt about it, surprising results, my more elderly customers ( who have probably been around open fires/ log burners all their lives ) all showed some interest in the 'all oak' the more fashionable clients who use a fire for effect rather than heating wern't interested in the slightest, a small bit of time spent on the phone has payed off thou, 2 separate orders for oak going out tom morning, at a higher price, time will tell if we get any repeat orders! thanks for all your replys :thumbup1:

It comes down to your individual customer base.

If your clients are the type who request specific types of wood, they are the ones who will pay extra for it, therefore its upto you if you want to go the extra mile producing it.

i dont think it would ever pay to split the oak as you went, i bought a quantity of mainly oak so was easyish to keep apart from the rest, early days yet, its only just started getting cold!!!!!!