Sub contracting

English-arb

Just remember you are not sub contracting anything if you go in as a groundsman or climber with another firm, you are just there to help out nothing more, its not your job and its not your responsiblity. Do your job well and enjoy it, but dont use the term sub contractor, it all gets confusing then with insurance etc.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just remember you are not sub contracting anything if you go in as a groundsman or climber with another firm, you are just there to help out nothing more, its not your job and its not your responsiblity. Do your job well and enjoy it, but dont use the term sub contractor, it all gets confusing then with insurance etc.

what is the correct term rupe?

I think there is no correct term, and certainly not for me to say what is correct or not, but if you call yourself a sub contractor then that implies some kind of responsibility to the job in hand and as we have already discussed many times the insurance companies will happily help you part with your cash if you tell them you are a sub contractor even though you aren't really.

I guess freelancer or self employed climber/groundie are the correct terms but subbie is often used. As long as "subbie" is a nickname for self employed and not a shortening of sub contractor then it kind of works but the confusion is too easily made.

Inland revenue like one version, and insurance companies like the other, the game is to play in to neither hand. Ultimatly you do have a responsiblity to your own career and to those working around you and any reckless disregard of responsibilities will leave you jobless.

• 3 months later...

Hi I am still within my first 2 years and really enjoy sub work . I find the best way to help with being nervous is to allways just be very honest with the person you are going to sub for and y can agree a day rate that reflects what y can and cannot do for them and your levle of exp . I allways have a compleat discussion with them and leave them in no doubt as to what I Can and cannot do so When I get to site and start work I never have to worry that I will be expected to do something I cannot do so it makes life easy in the subbing world . Y will allways have a few nerves as with any first day on site with a new set of lads but that passes quickly and then y will have a great time .

Some lads have problems and big worries when subbing if they have not been complealty honest and overstreatch there ability as they are given stuff to do that's to much for them .

With any new place y go to unless y are really well seasoned to start with it's allways best to play down a bit what u can do or think u can do that way u can get to know every one and won't feel out of your depth with the work y are asked to do

Hope this helps

littletree:thumbup: