Ecoplugs

Andy Collins

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They look really good. How many plugs do you need to put in a stump ?

Depends on species, about one every 4 inch circumference.

We used them 10 years ago alot, the said back then that degradeable plugs would be next step...

I dont like roundup, I try to stay away from it as much as I can. I reckon thats the next DDT...:001_huh:

Thats interesting re; the biodegradable plastic, when I asked the rep, he seemed surprised that this even came up, then the Swedish girl said it was in the pipeline. Seemed strange to me that a company wishing to be more environmentally friendly with the content of their capsule would not have considered the potentially 1000's of pieces of plastic left in the environment for all eternity:confused1:

I think they even tried cornstarch capsules, but I might be wrong. Back in 1999 or something I discussed the Idea with the guy at the gardenfair. He (the inventor I belive) was in my companys stall to display his product. As they promoted the product as a environmentally friendly product I pointed out the contradiction of using plastic...

• 2 years later...

Old thread I know

Interesting points about needing PA1/6- so groundies still have to be sprayers.

Cost on progreen are £70 per hundred= about £10 per 20inch stump plus time to drill plus remembering drill and batteries.

Isn't it more green(no plastic)to just cut behind the cambium apply small quantity of roundup to the groove and then cap with a thin cheese and nail down. Also I think quicker. £0.50 of roundup and an extra bit of cutting. Maybe even try this with the salt that some on here swear by.

Old thread I know

Interesting points about needing PA1/6- so groundies still have to be sprayers.

Cost on progreen are £70 per hundred= about £10 per 20inch stump plus time to drill plus remembering drill and batteries.

Isn't it more green(no plastic)to just cut behind the cambium apply small quantity of roundup to the groove and then cap with a thin cheese and nail down. Also I think quicker. £0.50 of roundup and an extra bit of cutting. Maybe even try this with the salt that some on here swear by.

I must admit the old salt version was my prefered choice, but maybe thats just cos thats what I grew up using?

I prefer the saw cut ito cambium and cap, I usualy leave the stump 1 inch higher than prefered, then slice that of thin, cut into the cambum with a saw and re cap with the slice which of course is a perfect fit, custom made for the stump and biodegradable.:thumbup1:

I dont like Glyphosate being used though.

I guess the idea is to make it totally muppet proof. There is no guessing the mixture, no over spray, no real handling issues, no risk of liquid spills in the truck and so on. I remember the days of squash bottles with a hole pierced through the cap for a squirter, then randomly spraying the stumps, and this was for a large national company that prides itself on being very green and environmentally aware, of course, as said elsewhere, this was glyphosate and was deemed safe to handle back then. It's quite scary what has gone before, and I think these Ecoplugs are definitely the way forward, though I suspect the glyphosate will be superseded in time with a new cocktail.

I prefer the saw cut ito cambium and cap, I usualy leave the stump 1 inch higher than prefered, then slice that of thin, cut into the cambum with a saw and re cap with the slice which of course is a perfect fit, custom made for the stump and biodegradable.:thumbup1:

Agreed (I used a cuple of nails to keep the lid on and ammonium sulphamate which helps compost the stump:sneaky2:)