Are the any specific Deer Fencing Courses out there?

farmer_ben

As title suggests really?

We have some projects going on in a couple of our woods that require fencing sections in to prevent Deer from entering. We'd like to do the work ourselves and are confident we can after attending a course. tam struggling to find Deer related fencing courses.

Any help is great

Thanks

deer fencing is not hard. but no courses about! it will either be as part of a bigger course, or youl need someone who knows to show you.

its basically a post and wire fence, round posts to about 2meters, and wire mesh (wiv big squares) to suit, bit of chicken mesh round the bottom to keep rabbits out and roberts ya mothers brother!

Not seen anything specific but do you have the FC Forest Fencing book. Might be of use. As could this http://www.forestry.gov.uk/pdf/fcpn9.pdf//fcpn9.pdf

Have you phones a local college see if they could set something up for you?

May I also suggest " Forest Fencing-Technical guide" by the Forstry commision.

ISBN 085538 6886

Thanks for the replies so far guys, very interesting. All i have ever done and studied for is Agriculture so this project is all new to me although I believe we have the skilled labour on the farm to complete it. We're entering into HLS so hoping lots more of this type work will come my way.

remember to build the 3m strainers in a box formation otherwise you will pull them out the ground when you tension it up. 2.4m posts for the inters i use as rolls of deer net weigh a fair bit themselves.

i cant remember where i was reading it but they were now changing the guidelines / reccomendations regarding fencing where there are specific species due to them getting caught up in the wire.