Rip, twang, kipper-bang

David Humphries

Do you know if anyone is using an instrument to monitor the lean?

We've been using a clinometer app at work on a couple of trees.

Just needs the calibration checking periodically.

I think the assistant TO is using the clinometre app. The rootplate hasnt moved at all but i'm suspecting it has Phaeolus at the base and in the stem judging by the bulges and buckles in the stem.

A few snap outs on a [ATTACH]109299[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]109300[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]109301[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]109302[/ATTACH]

Looks to be a similar size cedar limb as the one that killed the poor New Zealand girl at Kew recently.

Any ideas as to reason of failure with your cedar Tom?

How did you get on pulling that branch off with the truck mat? I imagine it may have struggled some, what with the ground conditions and angle of pull. Unless of course you were using a winch.

Where abouts is that Mat, is that the flooded Stour in the background?

Sorry to jump in here, mention of Phaeoleus reminds of something I've been meaning to check. I expect David may know! Does Ph. follow on from an Armillaria (oystoyea or mellea, or both?) attack, or is it the other way around?

Thanks in advance...:thumbup:

No references at hand as its the season to down books and be merry.

But I would imagine Phaeolus to be a primary pathogen acting with a strategy of interaction through the exposure of sapwood (perhaps windload) mainly in the roots but also low down within the trunk/buttress interface.

Would then expect Armillaria species to become involved due to a weakened host.

But like I say, don't take my 'word' for it.

Seek out the truth within the dusty leaves of Schwartzes, Butin or Lonsdale :thumbup:

How did you get on pulling that branch off with the truck mat? I imagine it may have struggled some, what with the ground conditions and angle of pull. Unless of course you were using a winch.

Where abouts is that Mat, is that the flooded Stour in the background?

Haven't pulled it out yet. But the plan of attack is remove all the branch wood which is holding it up to hopefully cause it to snap more timber out. We would use a tirfor winch off a large ash to snap it out as the truck winches aren't quite strong enough. Marsh and Ham (Flood barrier side of Morisons car park in Blandford). Yup. Its gone down a hell of a lot from yesterday but it is on the rise again.

Alright david nothing to scientific iam affaid happened last year in heay snows knocked a few decent sized limbs off. Nobody injured thankfully

Thanks Tom.

Would be interesting to know if there has been any work done on the strength of cedar unions/branches particularly in relation to snow loading.

Obviously something that occurs relatively frequently