Hobbs vrs Grcs vrs Stein ?

Danavan

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, Reggie babe..if'n ya send me your masta piece.....I'll have one of each.....then you can bribe me ....I'm easy....

You know Rog, Mr Good actually offered to ship me out a GRCS to keep in return for making him a video. Obviously I had a conflict of interest there but still mulled and pondered over it for quite some time, if only I could make the video but disguise my identity. In the end I had to let it go, much to my disappointment. You win some you lose some!

I have used a fixed bollard (not stein) and the grcs and the hobbs. IME The hobbs is the best if you want a reliable lowering device with lifting capability. The grcs is a bit overcomplicated and the rope doesn't seem to grip the winch drum as well as the hobbs. The hobbs is pretty bomb proof and has very predictable friction, you could give it to a groundy who has never lowered and make him look like a pro. But unless you really need that lifting capability then just get a bollard like the stein one.:001_smile:

Badly worded & spelt as usual. I wasnt after comparison of the three against each other because I am well awear that they all have different capabiltys & uses.

I was after peoples comparisons on use of each so I could make a disision on which to get. I am fair certin I will go for the Stein though. I am impresed with the other two but I have winches for lifting.

Sorry for any confusion. I will lay the blame on Stella & keep it that way:blushing::lol:

• 2 years later...

As Steve Bullman said, If you want loads of lifting ability, get the GRCS. If you want a bollard with some lifting ability, get the Stein.

Having said that, It's more about how you rig than which bollard you have.

I have the Stein Dual and when I need the extra lifting ability I put a pulley on the rope with a Prusik to create a 3-1.

It's not as swift as a GRCS but it works just as well. Points of attachment and working out the angles are really important as well and with some lateral thinking I can definitely achieve everything that a GRCS user could, just a bit slower. But that's fine for me because we rarely need to do loads of lifting.

I would have bought the GRCS or Iblings Smart Winch if that was best for my application but they are not and I've never regretted buying the Stein.

All are perfect pieces of kit in their own right.

Horses for courses and only you can decide which will work best for you.