tripping a hung tree

dadio

Oh...I m not proud to say I've used this method plenty and usually forced to put a cut that meets. This is as getting paid was on a produce basis and everything (mostly) was at 2m (over your head)

It's gotta be done or the trees dont come down, they dont get processed and sned on the floor and y'all go home weaker. poorer and with less fuel than you started with!

Dont faff about putting plunge cuts etc, diagonal BS..wastes wood. Just gotta be ready ready to move quick sharp and leave your saw behind...In fact, I wrecked a perfectly good Husk 357 messing about with straps and controlled separation. Saw jammed and I watched helplessly as it all went pear shaped in an orange heap on the floor.

Saw, fuel and a good felling bar...oh and maybe some highlift wedges...Job done!!

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That second video every one of those trees could have been winched. There appears to be a surfaced track new to one so you could have got a tractor there with some serious pull. If you cant get a tractor there a big turfor with a snach block or two would do the job. Safer and quicker than all this climbing windblow.

I feel that leaving a "Strap" to control theTree is Flawed.

Firstly the amount of "Strap" that is to remain is entirely guessed,that "Strap" is in effect lengthening the Hazard.Or if there is a large Knot on the top of the Tree you may not have any "Strap" at all.

In a situation as depicted in your Video,I would have cut down from the Top untill the cut began to pinch and then up feeling with the Nose of the Bar.

That second video every one of those trees could have been winched. There appears to be a surfaced track new to one so you could have got a tractor there with some serious pull. If you cant get a tractor there a big turfor with a snach block or two would do the job. Safer and quicker than all this climbing windblow.

Do you not have those wee skidsteer contraptions out there that move HUGE pieces of timber about the yard? Surely that would have pulled her down nicely?:confused1:

:thumbup1:

The tensions and compressions have no effect on the movement of the butt after release. Is that sush a hard concept to grasp?

They will effect the bar getting pinched, which is again the benefit of the plunge cut, in that it prevents the bar from getting pinched no matter what hte tension and compression forces are doing.

That said : Tip vs butt heavy, the angle of lean, and the forces exerted by the push or pull of the root plate are three factors that effect tension/compression in the wood. Just becasue you haven't figured them out does not make them unpredictable. Its all physics, and as such undenaibly predictable.

I am on the verge of giving up. Numerous people have discredited your technique. This is called peer review.

Its the split second before release, you know, the precursor to being seriously injured which is the effect of the tensions and compressions acting on the windblown tree.

Physics are predicatable. But are you telling me that 100% of the time you can very accurately calculate the forces being exerted from the root plate and at the tip of the tree (some distance away)?

It doesnt change the fact that there are a range of quick, efficent, approved, safe, methods for dealing with this situation. You are undermining them and encouraging, at best, a questionable technique.

You guys with your simple ideas of better ways to get the tree down are missing out on the bigger picture.

Doing something that way would not make a very good video, it wouldnt get noticed, it wouldnt get slated, it wouldnt get 12 pages of comments, Dadio wouldnt be the name on everyones lips. Daniel Murphys youtube page wouldnt be getting the hits it gets.

Sometimes the simplest and safest way to do things just doesnt make good telly.