Topping

Taupotreeman

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahhhhh, I don't feel so bad now. Thought I was wasting my breath with some customers, doing my damnest to talk em out of topping but getting nowhere quickly. I always try and tell them of the issues caused or resulting from topping but in the end most have made up their mind what they want, end of story. Refused to do a job for a guy the other day that wanted some Douglas Fir and Pine reduced down to 10 feet from about 50 feet. Was right on the side of the State Highway in full view of everyone. Fortunately he came back to me asking to discuss options.

The difference between removing a healthy tree completely and topping is with removal you are not leaving behind potentail decay pockets and a potentailly badly managed tree in future

Comparing the two is silly :001_smile:

The main reason I dont like topping trees is because it's always done badly by some numpty that doesn't give a toss about anything else but lining their pockets and dont think about future consequence

Then some climber comes along 20 years down the line trying to find a decent strong anchor after they have been called in to remove the tree because of peeling away branches

There you go boys, my take on it :laugh1:

The difference between removing a healthy tree completely and topping is with removal you are not leaving behind potentail decay pockets and a potentailly badly managed tree in future

Comparing the two is silly

The main reason I dont like topping trees is because it's always done badly by some numpty that doesn't give a toss about anything else but lining their pockets and dont think about future consequence

Then some climber comes along 20 years down the line trying to find a decent strong anchor after they have been called in to remove the tree because of peeling away branches

There you go boys, my take on it

:lol: utter codswallop.

Potential this and potential that, if I plant a tree it has the potential to blow over and kill someone :laugh1:

Nice sweeping statement about us numpty tree toppers, but since that also includes you I don't mind:thumbup1:

If a climber isn't professional enough or should I say skilled enough to work out how to safely fell/re top a 20 year old pollard then he/she should be doing something else surely.

Besides tbh, and this is only from my observations over the last 15 years of tree work not that many old pollards fail, true as you say it can cause cavities etc but just look at some ancient topped trees, they haven't all failed.

I have seen some fail that have been fractured pruned but that's for another thread!

In fact topped conifers are what I see fail more than anything but then they don't count.

I do understand what you mean though.

That's my take on it.:001_tongue:

:lol: utter codswallop.

Potential this and potential that, if I plant a tree it has the potential to blow over and kill someone :laugh1:

Nice sweeping statement about us numpty tree toppers, but since that also includes you I don't mind:thumbup1:

If a climber isn't professional enough or should I say skilled enough to work out how to safely fell/re top a 20 year old pollard then he/she should be doing something else surely.

Besides tbh, and this is only from my observations over the last 15 years of tree work not that many old pollards fail, true as you say it can cause cavities etc but just look at some ancient topped trees, they haven't all failed.

I have seen some fail that have been fractured pruned but that's for another thread!

In fact topped conifers are what I see fail more than anything but then they don't count.

I do understand what you mean though.

That's my take on it.:001_tongue:

I agree!!!!!

And also WHY are hedges any different???????????? What if after we cut it they don't get it cut for 20 years???????????????????????????????

As long as you line your pockets with money who cares about the tree or public safety or future maintainance, at least you can get the beers in when it's your round :001_rolleyes:

I have been up plenty of lapsed "pollards" with no MEWP access and not been 100% about my anchor and have had to use unusual techniques on others which where positively dodgey.

I dont have a problem if they are maintained, the problem I have is they never or very rarely are and thats when topping can and do cause problems and if you have, in 15 years seen very few topping cut failures, your walking round blind folded :lol:

As long as you line your pockets with money who cares about the tree or public safety or future maintainance, at least you can get the beers in when it's your round

I have been up plenty of lapsed "pollards" with no MEWP access and not been 100% about my anchor and have had to use unusual techniques on others which where positively dodgey.

I dont have a problem if they are maintained, the problem I have is they never or very rarely are and thats when topping can and do cause problems and if you have, in 15 years seen very few topping cut failures, your walking round blind folded

Lets see some pics of all these failures then:001_rolleyes:

You need to trust your anchor point a bit more:thumbup1:

Not saying I do all the time though:laugh1::blushing:

Tbh to me old lapsed pollards are more of a pita than anything else due to the amount of vertical stems that need removing rather than thinking they will fail on me.