Mobile Card Machines

Theocus

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine didn't do bluetooth and any info is sent on a digitally encrypted mobile signal.

Mind you, if you are into phone tapping you have one part of the jigsaw.

Problem with cards is you never really have the money guaranteed in your account, the card company can take it back or reverse the transaction if you get an unreasonable customer

I also have been looking into these payment machines as thought it would be an easy way to take payments rather then cheques .Well I was shocked by the cost of the rental of the thing ,it would work out OK for a shop owner but other then that i think they are a rip off .

I found a better way for myself . Most of my customers have a computer and have Internet banking so I give them an option to pay me direct though there bank this works well as I can then check its gone in straight away .

Other then that its just cash and the good old cheques .

I would like one of those machines it would make life easier but at the cost they are wanting per month and you sign up for an 18 month contract for the pleaser of it .

They can keep it Littltree:biggrin:

Ive done the maths and dont think it works out but does anyone use the mobile card machines either for convenience, instant payment or to offer your clients a smoother service for example.

My bank charges (barclays) about 75 pence for a paying in slip and 30p for a cheque. So one cheque is £1.05!!

Recently the quarterly bill was £80, the hire of the machine is £27 a month then i think 30p per transaction or a percentage for credit cards. As i said i have done the maths and its not as cheap but it does offer an alternative to paying in cheques or waiting for clients to pay!!

The down sides would be, losing it, damage in the truck, woodchip and dust!!!

I am sure others have looked into it but be interested to see if its been a success.

If you have an iphone there are apps that lets you take card payments. Not sure on the costs but more details here:

Accept credit card payments on your iPhone: Square app hits the App Store ? Cell Phones & Mobile Device Technology News & Updates | Geek.com

and here:

App turns iPhone into a credit card terminal - Springwise

I have heard about the iphone apps, but would you let someone scan your card on their phone? People are scepticle and possibly reluctant in this phishing, internet scamming world we have. I could be wrong but i think if it doesnt look like a bank terminal with hsbc or barclays written on it the clients might not use it.

I will prob stick with cheques, cash and bribes for now, i also like the line, so what does your business do?

So far i have all my security cameras for free, my vets bills are zero, the local pub has fed and watered me for the last year free of charge etc etc!!

I have heard about the iphone apps, but would you let someone scan your card on their phone? People are scepticle and possibly reluctant in this phishing, internet scamming world we have. I could be wrong but i think if it doesnt look like a bank terminal with hsbc or barclays written on it the clients might not use it.

I will prob stick with cheques, cash and bribes for now, i also like the line, so what does your business do?

So far i have all my security cameras for free, my vets bills are zero, the local pub has fed and watered me for the last year free of charge etc etc!!

:confused1:So you put no value on your time, fuel and wear and tear to your kit.

I prefer to get paid and then pay others, its just simpler, imo.

Ahh i do you see, 2 cameras at £150 each which i was going to buy anyhow for a hedge trimming job of 40 mins with 2 people. Then a seperate job in the arvo that covered the wages by more than enough is clever thinking to me. The others benefits have also been managed to my advantage too. I truthfully value my time too highly and only on occasion do i do this when the advantage is mine..

Anyway back to the mobile cards, i rang barclays today for a costing.

Minimum of a 3 year contract.

£150 + vat set up cost

£49 + vat admin cost

£26.95 + vat per month

Then 2.63% cards with a 37p charge. and 3.8% on credit!!

I did mention that dick turpin wore a mask when he robbed people!!!!

Even the sales women said it was expensive, barclays do not make the mobile terminals and therefore they are governed by third party suppliers.