I hate you oil cap!

Stevie Mac

you most probably filled the oil right to the top, so when you put the cap on and pushed down, the top wont have locked in place because the oil level will have come up since the bottom of the cap is going in, so when you turn it to lock(coz you think its in place) it locks but not in the saw, just floating ontop of the plastic, then you pick it up, walk across the lawn, pathway or monoblock and hey presto, big sticky mess ha ha:lol:. Rule of thumb with filling 020, stick your finger in and take out some of the oil before trying cap. Now just now when you try and lock it, it will lock but at say 10 oclock, and not 12, so you keep trying and trying, it aint workin is it, now stop and have a little word with your brain to stop doing the same thing over and over again and try something a little diferent.:001_rolleyes: Put the cap in your left hand between your thumb and forefinger twist it anti clock wise, now put the cap back in the saw as usual, but then STOP, take it out and turn it anti clockwose and sit it back it, push down and hey presto job done. Take it apart with plyers if you want but that will just make you madder lol. Go on you can do it, now put your top back on, get a torch and go and find the lid that you have thrown into the garden in a little tantrum:laugh1:

As a result of a previous thread on the subject of the twist-lock oil caps http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/chainsaws/13520-new-type-stihl-oil-caps.html , I wrote to Stihl HQ and asked them to comment.

Stihl acknowledged that a problem exists, and claim they are working on fixing it, see http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/262287-post67.html

I am convinced there are GOOD caps and there are BAD caps. End of story.

There are!! I had big problems with one of mine, was being told I was stupid etc, then it happened to a couple of others that used the saw, used to have to use the combi spanner to force turn it before locking it. I ordered a new cap and not had a problem since!

I think they have also changed the design on them slightly from the very first ones. I think it was so you can fit the cap when it is full to the brim with oil.

I think the main prob people have is that they don't press down and just turn it, only takes a little bit of crap to go between cap and saw body to stop it fitting right.

you most probably filled the oil right to the top, so when you put the cap on and pushed down, the top wont have locked in place because the oil level will have come up since the bottom of the cap is going in, so when you turn it to lock(coz you think its in place) it locks but not in the saw, just floating ontop of the plastic, then you pick it up, walk across the lawn, pathway or monoblock and hey presto, big sticky mess ha ha:lol:. Rule of thumb with filling 020, stick your finger in and take out some of the oil before trying cap. Now just now when you try and lock it, it will lock but at say 10 oclock, and not 12, so you keep trying and trying, it aint workin is it, now stop and have a little word with your brain to stop doing the same thing over and over again and try something a little diferent.:001_rolleyes: Put the cap in your left hand between your thumb and forefinger twist it anti clock wise, now put the cap back in the saw as usual, but then STOP, take it out and turn it anti clockwose and sit it back it, push down and hey presto job done. Take it apart with plyers if you want but that will just make you madder lol. Go on you can do it, now put your top back on, get a torch and go and find the lid that you have thrown into the garden in a little tantrum:laugh1:

It was like you where in my head Stephen. I will try again in a couple of days when the saw and I are back on speaking terms.