Do cheap 'leccy chainsaws kickback more?

scranner

I was trying to advise a friend about buying a cheap (Aldi) electric chainsaw for yard/firewood use and he mentioned that he'd been told that they can kickback more than a petrol one. Is this true? The only rationale I could think of is that perhaps the chain doesn't go as fast as a petrol's and so more likely to catch rather than cut if you stick the nose in. Or, perhaps given the assumed typical buyer the chain's so blunt after a week or so that it'll kick back for that reason, and /or not knowing how to avoid kickback in the first place.

Any comments? Cheers

im sure your right that because of low cutting speed and perhaps poor maintanance these saws will kick back more often, however im sure the kickback will be less severe than from a petrol engine. i could be wrong. perhaps the saw is more prone to kicking as the power is delivered in a way that the chain is less likely to stop in the cut as a petrol saw might but is more likely to push out of the cut. all i know for sure is that i dont like them. i think if your not confident and comfortable with a proper saw then you shouldn't be using any saw, this isn't saying leccy saws dont have their place.

Leccy saws do have their place. We bought two last year as when we sell christmas trees we had always used petrol ones for a long time, with axes and bowsaws before that, with customers always in close proximity and noise an issue especially with small children around, buying two electric ones we havent looked back, there are still the same risks regarding cutting, the response isnt instant when you press the switch though, which is my only gripe. you just fill them with chain oil and use them, they get used in dirty conditions so chains are sharpened a couple of times a day

we bought two husqvarna 321E. At their price they are worth it, but would never replace petrol ones elsewhere. We found them to be a good choice, lot less maintenance involved. as long as you know how to look after them, your fine.

I wouldnt have thought the electric saws kick back more than petrol saws.

I'd be asking who told him and why?

Its to do with the energy in the chain than anything else IIRC. Thats why a bigger saw will kick more than a smaller when when the chain travels at roughly the same speed.

Maybe a petrol will stall quicker than an electric but I dont think that would matter tbh.

Lecky saws don’t kick back more, if anything the kickback is less with electric.

They have less power than most petrol saws and much less reciprocating mass so when you let go the trigger they stop much quicker meaning if the saw does kick the chances are the chain won’t be spinning. (hopefully)

Andy

We have a stihl mse 220. About £400 and worth the money. Delivers torque in a totally different way to petrol. A petrol will slip on the clutch if it gets stuck . The electric seems to have a lot of torque at slow chain speed which gives the feeling of more kick back. I would not say it is more dangerous than a petrol but needs as much repect. These high end electric saws are better than you would ever imagine and I would say as good as a ms390. I love the pick up and go side of things and no petrol cost or fumes. I use mine for preping wood for processor and ringing 12-14" stuff when trying to keep the noise down excellent piece of kit.