Help! Log Splitter Noise Dilema!!!

TimberCutterDartmoor

Oh bugger!

Perhaps it was only a matter of time but I have to keep my Yard landlord very sweet and a neighbour who works from home has complained re the noise from my RIKO A11 VTR with petrol engine. I can understand this especially as the acoustics in the adjacent barn conversion courtyard do make it noisy.

Point is I can't process timber until I come up with a solution! Major Bain!

Selling it and going electric aint really an option as there's no supply and I sometimes use the splitter elsewhere etc.

Anyone know of a proven solution? I'm thinking and hoping there's a silent pack available for the 9hp EX27 Subaru Robin engine. Not sure if most of the noise eminates from the exhaust or just engine rattle etc.

Any help massively appreciated...

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of the noise comes from the exhaust they are fairly small and dont cut down the noise that much, well does with our splitter although its not the same type.

There must be some way a better,bigger exhaust could be knocked up, it will prob reduce the power though but hopefully will still keep you working:thumbup1:

Spent £000s building the shed so can't move it now. Have spoken to a few people and most suggesting a custom exhaust system is the way to go - have it large enough and it won't eat the power... The splitter has been balls to the walls for a while now and I need to keep production up so this problem has to be fixed yesterday!

Put your existing exhaust into a long pipe with a silencer on it and pipe it away. That will cut donw the majority of the noise. Put some paneling ove the end of the shed as a second noise barrier on the side facing the neighbour. It will all help. Keep the complainers 'in the loop' so they know you are trying too.

Thanks for the advise guys; have really found the whole situation very depressing. Pouring with rain and my hands are tied so I can't even go and split timber. With orders coming in thick and fast now this is terrible timing.

I'm going to go down the modded silenced exhaust route for starters. Like the straw bale idea; was thinking of the soundproofing boards only earlier...

Re the barrel of water; do you mean the exhaust existed IN the water i.e bubbling away?!