Council work..residents..how much do you say?

cerneARB

This is for folk out there who do Local authority or housing asscociation work.When a resident asks you why your working on a tree, do you be vague with the awnswer or brief or in depth?

The reason i ask is that the more they know, the more they ring the council TO and moan about why such as such is not being done about other trees.

My team leader always says be vague with the awnswer.

cerne.

Edited by cerneARB
spelling

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really going to regret saying this, but if the resident has any queries then they need to be directed to the person that specified the work. Give 'em a brief overview if you want, but explaining Council Poilcy etc. isn't what you are there for. You do a hard enough and generally badly paid job as it is. If you want to spend a bit of time talking through what you're doing, then fine. But you shouldn't feel as though you have to.

Part of a TOs role is liaise with the general public and answer any of their tree related questions they may have, however tedious it may feel at the time.

Of course, if the resident going to supply vast amounts of tea and bacon rolls, you may feel like you want to talk to them a bit longer :001_tongue:.

Edited by janey

We often get folk approach us, with the classic "why are you felling that tree" when we are just doing a crown lift, thin etc so we always try and explain the reasons why we are doing the work. I suppose our responses are quite vague, but usually our answers to there questions are good enough....