Modding?

Sam Thompson

I have heard a fair bit of talk about "porting" "muffling" and such like on here. I havent really come across (or felt the need to) mod a saw, so I would be very grateful if some knowledgable bod helped me with a few things?

Why would you mod a saw?

Is it really that much better?

How much does it cost?

Can you do it to any saw?

Im thinking of getting a bigger (MS 460 esc) saw soon, would it be worth modding? Or does it depend on what your doing?

Thanks, and sorry for all the questions!

Sam

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

read through this link, i found it awesome!

http://masterblasterhome.com/showthread.php?t=14797

used a brand new husqvarna 346xpg which had been modded the other day (45cc) outperformed my stihl 361 (60cc) so so fun to use!

i'll try answer, but only to my limited knowledge

Why would you mod a saw? to run bigger bars with smaller, lighter units. faster cutting, fun!

Is it really that much better? YES!!! brilliant fun

How much does it cost? the saw i used cost £200 in mods

Can you do it to any saw? yes

Im thinking of getting a bigger (MS 460 esc) saw soon, would it be worth modding? Or does it depend on what your doing?

see the link above, 460 turned into a 660 killer, 880 contender!

i opened up the muffler on my dads old 039, i read a lot on other sites, before i did anything, the muffler exit holes shoudlnt be more than 80% of the exhaust port onthe piston, any more isnt good, I think im about there.

Used a dremel with a drill bit and a grinding bit. Making circles bigger and bigger till i felt they were right, make sure you clean up any rough edges and make sure you make it clean inside.

Also opened my 260 up slightly, not done it enough to make a difference, sounded slightly different but now its almost no change.

I painted the mufflers with black woodstove (high heat) paint after modding, looks nice. After they were rubbed down well with a wire brush and dremel brush to give them a good surface for paint to stick to.

the 039 sounds like a scouser on a crosser, razzes its nuts off and sounds cool, lot louder though. It used to run a 16" bar ok, ive put an 18 on it and it runs that well, tested it on some big oak pieces cutting full length, worked well.

IIRC an easy way to mod a 460 660 is to buy an exhaust from the magnum range.

They have extra holes and ports compared to standard.

They might not offer as much performance but its fairly straight forward to do.:thumbup1:

I did a slight bit of muffler mod on 46 and 66 but I think not enough to make a difference, think I will have another go soon ish.:thumbup:

Oh some new piston rings on an old saw will work wonders. too.