Mog Facts

Paul Smith

I must admit to being a little suprised at a a few answers to deermans question regarding Mog usage. We have owned, modified and run too many of them in the past 20 years. VOSA are in place to ensure the roadworthiness of the of the vehicle not what it can or cant do on the road. Brake systems, lights, steering tyre specs and axle weights are their intersts.

HM Revenue and Customs will take a very big interest in what colour diesel you are using in your Mog - speak to your local office for clarification, get it in writing and be very honest with them what you are really using the Mog for. They do not class Tree Surgery as Forestry, so that load of leylandii chip from Mrs Goggins garden hedge on a tank of red may get your pride and joy confiscated- the oness is upon you to prove otherwise, not that easy and may also trigger a complience inspection. A Tax Inspector looking at all your past client invioces with domestic addresses on them wont help your case much.

Your local area traffic commisioner is the chap who decides if you need an Operators Licence or not and yes an ag registered Mog may be subject to one- we had one on our 1650 before i sold it. Their interest lies in you financial and technical ability to safely run and maintain your vehicle on a public road.

For a more precise answer to your question i suggest you contact the above agencies

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I asked the same question when i worked on a farm, we had a 24 metre sprayer that wasnt classed as an ag vehicle but as a "special" this meant it could be driven on the motorway etc etc even though it only did 30mph:scared:....A unimog can fall in to the same category, my old forestry contracting boss had an old 1982 mog, we used to take it to Baddow/Hanningfield in Essex and always got our spares and there were several in there for breaking etc, the guy knew his stuff too

I would say that that is down to what you class as a tractor.

What is a tractor?

I would say that a Mog is a tractor ?

when i enquired as i said before the local traffic police classed it what they call a moterized tractor meaning it can go quicker than 28mph allowing it to go on the M way. i asked the question for taking my mog to a tractor rally in worcester

I would say that that is down to what you class as a tractor.

What is a tractor?

I would say that a Mog is a tractor ?

I'm afraid it doesn't anymore! We have a John Deere 6220 at work it's the average farm tractor but because of the nature of our work its on white diesel has a tacho fitted and also on an Operators Licence. Its all down to what it does for who and when and how fast it goes these days.

Yes the Traffic Commisioner is the man that decides on O locences however most of the O licence info on the net is on the VOSA site.

It'll be down to whatever way they can screw the most revenue out of it and close down loop holes at the same time that decides. :icon14:

i agree with you mate to a degree, However all this legislation has stopped a local contractor chucking a 16 year old on a fastrac and trailer with only a tractor licence flying around the county delivering twenty tonne excavators at 40mph with little to no driving experiance and on rebated fuel. This was the scenario a few years back and it cost one 16 year old his life and the contractor also undercutting the more respectable plant firms that deliver by lorry and have been running on white with experianced drivers operating by the book for years.

so yeah I'm a little on the fence I'm afraid.