Hitch climber

Steve Bullman

Now using a petzl oval, seems better but still have probs with catching the top of the hitch, cliping the end/top karibiner into the middle hole on the hitch climber tilts it slightly moving the hitch away from the top krab. I have not had enough time playing to be sure if this is the solution though.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably putting these pics in the wrong place but here goes anyway. useful to advance your hitch if you havent got a hitch climber but im sure its all been seen before.Just slide the little prussik away when ascending,coming in on long branch walks and slide back down when going out on branches,working in crown etc

P1010105.jpg.6ce331fbc44ca77bcfe3bb9b193ddc2d.jpg

P1010106.jpg.eed4d0850380bce4dee9977bb3b3683d.jpg

Still not totally happy with this thing, when it works its brilliant but i cant get past the problem of the hitch catching the top karibiner/eye of the rope. I have been placing with this for a couple of weeks now and the only solution I can come up with is a karabiner that is at least 150mm long. This would allow the hitch to extend fully under load without reaching the top of the top krab. Only problem is i dont have one. Has anyone seen a 6" long triple lock before preferably oval? been looking on the net but no sucess.

Unless of course you have a totally different solution?

Still not totally happy with this thing, when it works its brilliant but i cant get past the problem of the hitch catching the top karibiner/eye of the rope. I have been placing with this for a couple of weeks now and the only solution I can come up with is a karabiner that is at least 150mm long. This would allow the hitch to extend fully under load without reaching the top of the top krab. Only problem is i dont have one. Has anyone seen a 6" long triple lock before preferably oval? been looking on the net but no sucess.

Unless of course you have a totally different solution?

Hmm I don't have a problem with it, it may catch occasionally but its never a worry, I did find using the middle hole better.

I use an incredibly small hitch set-up the top wrap is just over an inch or so above the biner, about the same height as the whipping. I also was tieing a bowline which had the potential to foul the hitch a lot.

But it would never send me plummeting, it just would'nt grab and i'd have to adjust it by hand.

I would give up on looking for a longer karabiner, and maybe try a different hitch, something like a knute.

I used the Hitchclimber with a VT for the first time the other day.

I'm one these that has used basic no nonsense stuff, ie prussic etc.

I found it excellent for moving about in the crown desending and coming in off branch walks, but couldn't get on with it for ascending, especailly with no friction at the crotch.

I found it harder to ascend with the Art rope guide than I did without. With friction, it helps you hold your position whilst taking up the slack.

Unless of course you can set it up away from you so it self tends. But then I might as well use the Lockjack sport thats been kicking around in the bottom of my climbing bag gathering saw dust.

Do you retrieve your rope guide using the non spliced end of your rope because the spliced eye doesn't fit thru where the roller is?

I found it harder to ascend with the Art rope guide than I did without. With friction, it helps you hold your position whilst taking up the slack.

Are you locking your arm whilst tending the slack? It reduces the effort required massivley.

Do you retrieve your rope guide using the non spliced end of your rope because the spliced eye doesn't fit thru where the roller is?

It's best retrieved with the retriever ball attached to the spliced eye. If you use the plain end you will need longer cord on the ball so it hangs free of the tail.

Are you locking your arm whilst tending the slack? It reduces the effort required massivley

I tried what you showed me but it's probably down to my technique plus the fact that you weigh 3 stone wet thru as oppose to my 15 stone.

I'm using 13mm yale splice eye which explains why it wont fit thru the roller bridge. I will have to retrieve with the other end then.

Need to organise a day down in my wood pete, could get a few together, some nice big climbing trees down there.

Need to show me SRT :icon14: