Average 'working' hours.

Mesterh

Number of hours 'actually' grafting.  

112 members have voted

1. 1. Number of hours 'actually' grafting.

• less than 5
    • About 5
    • About 5 1/2
    • About 6
    • About 6 1/2
    • About 7
    • About 7 1/2
    • about 8
    • About 9
    • I'm a machine I work in days not hours.

We average 39.5 hrs a week averaged thoughout the year. So in the summer we work 42 and in the winter 36.5 . The pay is the same summer and winter. Annual hourage or something its called, just under 2000 hrs a year.

It seems to work for the crews no complaints and we've been doing it for 7 years now. By the time the late spring arrives and the days are longer, its no hassle working a bit longer, likewise in the winter its nice to get home earlier.

We also stop early on a Friday 3pm in the winter and 4 pm in the summer.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Difficult to say.

I'm lucky enough to work in the woods around the village I live in - they literally start at the bottom of my garden.

You'd think that would make it easier to stick to an 8-4 or similar routine as i've less far to travel than most, but the opposite's true. I find myself working silly hours as I can always see something else that needs doing! It's a bit like having a 693 Hectare garden to look after....

On the plus side though I work by myself for myself, so can nip home if it's raining, start and finish early or late depending on daylight etc.

I don't earn megabucks and it's hard graft as i've no vehicle to get into the woods in so lug all my kit by hand, a large part of each day is just getting to site - I love it though and wouldn't give it up for the world.

I grew up in the village and was tearing around these woods when I was eight daydreaming about being a Woodsman - here I am twenty years later.... :thumbup:

For me it depends on who and where I am working .

for my Private clients its 8-5 on day rate I just work right through from stat to finish with 10 mins for a drink . If I compleat the job early then its still the flat day rate or agreed job price.

For my sub work depends on what we agree as am quite flexible so the usual times are 8 till 5 or 5.30 ish based on a 9 hours day on a day rate some places its 7-4 on flat rate .

For some of my other sub customers .I do a flat day rate between 8 -5 then I charge any hours before or after on an hourly rate as excess to day rate

as one of my jobs that I do each week starts at 6am and always goes on for 13.5 hours with 10 mins for lunch so I make sure that day pays me well .

Littltree:thumbup:

:scared1:

You only stop for 10 mins when working all day every day!

That's some physical feat of endurance no messing.

Edited by Mesterh

Originally i would cram as much work into a day as possible, but quickly realised that i was going at a relentless pace and duely fell run down. Now i work most my jobs with frelancers as a job and knock. If i've made enough money to get by then im happy. IMO yeah i could have more money but i think my quality of life would drop, too much work not enough time to enjoy the little things, walks, meals out with the wife, etc. Fair play to all those working 8hrs and up too.

It all depends on what it will cost me if i dont do the little job on the way home. If i have other things that need done that i struggle to do in working hours, ie maintenance buying parts then i will go and do that, if it is out of town and saves me a trip then i will do it there and then. If i have had a really good day that day at it means i can get home early, pick xander up from school and let my worker get all the tools serviced, sharpened etc then thats what i do.

I used to fit as much as possible into a day, but now I'd rather finish in good time, get everything maintained and ready for the next day, go and price up after a shower and so on. All the time my kids were growing up I was grafting all hours just to feed and water them, and give the family what it needed. Now they've grown up, things are a lot easier, pressures off, and I can get on with enjoying my work.

Depends if it's been an easy early finish or a hard one and also how small the extra job is. I,d usually prefer to go unload the truck and sort a few things out in the yard if ive already got a decent rate in.

When I am busy with lots of work though I would prob go and do the small job to get it out of the way.

Plus If the first job was a job and knock then it wouldn't be fair to then make the lads do another job, unless they were getting a dropsy and didn't mind.