Using spikes while pruning.

Mesterh

Is using spikes acceptable when only pruning?  

162 members have voted

1. 1. Is using spikes acceptable when only pruning?

• No I would never use spikes while pruning.
    • Yes I would only if it was a difficult climb.
    • Yes they are the first thing I get out of the kit bag.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, if you want to take this further, can you specify what i stated that you didnt say?

The way i understand it, you quoted it to be "understandable" for someone to have a tree topped due to financial reasons, and then went on to say if you were to top a tree you would hopefully get future work from it, even though you know it is not an acceptable practice.

That to me is putting financial gain before tree health.

Ok, if you want to take this further, can you specify what i stated that you didnt say?

The way i understand it, you quoted it to be "understandable" for someone to have a tree topped due to financial reasons, and then went on to say if you were to top a tree you would hopefully get future work from it, even though you know it is not an acceptable practice.

That to me is putting financial gain before tree health.

as said end of i cant be botherd. Read through it Im not explaining it again and im not trying to proove you wrong . I dont think its acceptable to do either dispite what I said in other post if i did it came out wrong.

personally if you need to use spikes to prune a tree then my advice would be to go back to being a groundy , there are many ways of finnishing a pollard or accessing a leggy sycamore before you have to resort to spikes , has anyone tried using webbing slings chokered off round a stem to stand in ? you can do the same with a prussic loop as well . i carry various webbing slings for many purposes and this is one of them .

But people 'top trees' because there short of monney that is understandable spiking a tree when reducing is unnecasary it doesnt make you any more monney does it. There for your comment makes no sense

Hi bobby.

Just looked at your profile to see if your'e a young'un but theres no info there.

I was a bit miffed at your comment to Taupotreeman as you said his view made 'no sense'. for what I considered to be tenuous reasons.

Taupo man has emigrated to the other side of the world and set up a business. I value his contributions and would really like to see him treated with a little more respect than your comment accorded him.

I was glad when 18stoner picked you up on your comment, although from a different angle. I believe he too is a tree man of some considerable experience.

I think you have apologised already for any offence caused in your post so all is good, but why not just let it lie now mate.:thumbup1:

What is your experience by the way, mines in my profile?

personally if you need to use spikes to prune a tree then my advice would be to go back to being a groundy , there are many ways of finnishing a pollard or accessing a leggy sycamore before you have to resort to spikes , has anyone tried using webbing slings chokered off round a stem to stand in ? you can do the same with a prussic loop as well . i carry various webbing slings for many purposes and this is one of them .

i dont HAVE to resort to spikes, i choose to put them on to make my life easier . It is not an excuse it is a reason. I can get a up a tree no bother with ladders, throw bags BUT i have the inteligence to break things down into more than 2 categories ie BLACK and WHITE. If you cant do this it doesnt mean everyone else in the world is evil and bad it is just we can see a bigger picture. It is all about your development as a child, unfortunately some folk just stay at that stage:biggrin:usually the guys who carry 40kg of accessories on their harnesses and do value trees more than humans:001_rolleyes: What are you going to do when your mate needs rescued and you have no second line set and he is bleeding big time. there isnt a branch for 60 feet and he is only 20 feet up, tight to the stem and the ladders arent about but there is a set of spikes, strop and harness sitting there??:confused1:i know what i would do:001_smile:

ps. who told you it was bad to spike a live tree? Is this your personal opinion based on the universal effects of those little gaff marks OR did someone say it was naughty once and that can never ever be changed, chiseled in stone and all that.

Edited by Stephen Blair